door frame on 2.5in wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uk1simon

Reaction score
hello,

im currently replacing doors and doorframes in my house. ive got a 2.5in studwall and i cant find any door lining in the market to fit that width. they usually sell either 106mm or 131mm wide linings.
i was even thinking of widening this stud wall and using commonly available studs but 106mm door lining is too narrow and 131 is too wide. am i missing something or is it always the case of buying too wide door linings and trimming them to required width?

regards
simon

When you say 2.5 in? Is that just the timber or does it include the plasterboard? :shock:

If it is just the timber, then you have to allow for 9.5mm or 12mm plasterboard and 3mm plaster each side.

If it includes the plasterboard already. Just buy some 3 x 1 timber to make the frame and get some 20mm x 20mm to make door stops up.

Or you could overboard one or both sides to thicken up the wall.

I think the size of the door linings relates to the way that stud walls are normally constructed - eg: 106mm = 75mm stud + 2 x 12.5mm plasterboard + 2 x 3mm plaster skim.

I suspect you may need to either cut the door lining down to fit or possible alternative would be to increase the thickness of the stud wall with extra layers of plasterboard. Both are likely to be less cost than replacing stud wall.

Rgds

Terry

Sounds like you have a stud wall ex. 65mm CLS timber.
Should you choose to use 12.7mm plasterboard each side of the lining, then make a lining from 25x 100 p/e from you're local merchant, this should come out at 94x 20mm finished sizes.
Plaster skim will be 2mm per side, so 4mm+25mm plasterboard, +65mm CLS stud comes out at 94mm.
If you are "jointing" the plasterboard, 2mm will be ample to finish, or skim.
HTH Regards Rodders

Your wall is built using Cellular Core Partitioning
Basically its two sheets of plasterboard with a corrugated cardboard core these in turn are fixed to a perimeter set of 2*2 PAR timbers
Unfortunately not many places stock the door frames for this system so I have always either made my own form PAR timbers or cut down a plain 106mm frame set from any of the usual sheds like Travis ,Harlows etc.

Roger

RogerBoyle said:
Basically its two sheets of plasterboard with a corrugated cardboard core these in turn are fixed to a perimeter set of 2*2 PAR timbers
Unfortunately not many places stock the door frames for this system so I have always either made my own form PAR timbers or cut down a plain 106mm frame set from any of the usual sheds like Travis ,Harlows etc.

Roger[/quot

Paramount partitioning! Made a lot of money out of that back in the day. :D

lincs1963":fyekoejb said:
RogerBoyle":fyekoejb said:

Roger[/quot

YEP! a good earner as long as the timber was kept dry, then on to the laminated partitions, THAT was a earner an' so's metal stud! Rodders

blackrodd":73ohq3xl said:
lincs1963":73ohq3xl said:
RogerBoyle":73ohq3xl said:

Roger[/quot

YEP! a good earner as long as the timber was kept dry, then on to the laminated partitions, THAT was a earner an' so's metal stud! Rodders

Shame it's a bag of dung :lol:

Back