Doncaster area practical help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pebbles

Established Member
Reaction score
Bit of a longshot but is there anyone in the Doncaster area with a van and/or trailer and some spare time, who would give me a hand clearing a front and back garden (New Edlington) of weeds... but they are high!

Those who were going to help now aren’t, am on a bit of a tight time-schedule (by Thursday next week) and am a bit stumped. It’s transport rather than enthusiasm or energy I’m lacking, but any ideas/help would be very much appreciated. Ta muchly for at least reading.

Hi

Is it feasible to run them through a shredder to turn them into mulch and spread over the cleared ground? Or maybe pile them into a secluded part of the garden to rot down into compost?

Regards Mick

Regrettably, garden's not really big enough or advisable to leave anything anywhere. It's a rental, and ideally if I could afford it I'd concrete it all over - am considering membrane and gravel but still need to cost it. This is a perennial problem (sorry!) during and in between tenancies - never yet found a tenant who gardened and unfortunately it's not the sort of area where tenancy agreements mean very much.

This time, at least I'm around (temporarily) to get the train down there and hack them down myself but was let down on the van/help (another story). Against my better feelings, I probably will spray with something noxious afterwards just to try and limit regrowth...

If it comes to it I'll probably just hire a skip to dump it all in but just thought I'd try here first!

Hi

Spraying is not a solution to your problem, you will need to respray several times a year to kill new / reseeded growth, (gone are the days of persistent weed killers). Membrane and gavel is a much better option or maybe lay slabs?

Regards Mick

If you don't intend to grow anything at all? Try watering the whole garden with a salt solution. That will kill and stop anything from growing for years. :)

Hmmm... any idea what sort of strength salt solution? If it were my garden I'd be growing all sorts of edible and pretty things, but if tenants want to, they'll have to have pots.

Slabs a good idea but much more expensive than membrane/gravel. I'm very far from being a well-off landlord... :(

pebbles":1hsuxxz3 said:
Hmmm... any idea what sort of strength salt solution? If it were my garden I'd be growing all sorts of edible and pretty things, but if tenants want to, they'll have to have pots.

Slabs a good idea but much more expensive than membrane/gravel. I'm very far from being a well-off landlord... :(
Have a read of these. :)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=salt+ ... 1099&dpr=1

Interesting.... thank you! Learn something new every day.

Have just been investigating the local tip regulations and I might come a cropper there unless I'm dumping from a normal car... need permits with vans/trailers.... :(

Hi

Not sure how effective salt solution would be - around here the roads get more than their fair share of salt in the winters and the roadside vegetation does not appear to suffer.

Regards Mick

Left a few messages for man/van type of thing. Not to worry - I'll resolve it, usually do. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I feel rather paranoid and conspicuous in my silence, I'm local, have a [small] van and also a tip permit, but unfortunately no free time to help out.

Have you considered a bonfire. The local fire service appreciate a prior phone call, and may advise a preferred time of day, and have been quite positive when we've contacted them in the past.

Hi mb and thanks anyway - no need to feel paranoid! Unfortunately it's all very green and lots of it, so bonfire not an option for several reasons! I've worked out that the cheapest option will be to hack it all down one day, then hire a car to deposit it at the tip another...

Hi Pebbles,

All local authorities seem to offer different services, but mine (for the time being until the wheelie bins come into force) sells garden waste bags for £1 each that you can put out with your regular waste collection; they'll also do 'bulky household waste' collections for an additional fee - it might be worth a call to see what options are available. The other thought, if you've got somewhere you can leave it for pick up is a HippoBag from B&Q/Wickes/Homebase(?) which is just a single use dumpy bag that gets picked up from 'up to 4m' from the kerbside, of course depending on your neighbourhood you might find it swiftly fills with old mattresses etc.

If you end up renting a car it might be worth buying a cheap tarp from Toolstation/screwfix - you don't want to risk losing your deposit by fouling the inside of a rental car, most of the rental companies will stop at nothing to invent imaginative new ways to rob you!

Thanks Kev... second para idea already in hand!!! 1st para... you know where the house is don't you?! ref: mattresses ;-)

Back