Does this head swivel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathansmith

Reaction score
Just bought my first lathe, its a Record CLO 24 x12 (not been able to find anything on it but think its quite similar to the old dml24). Was giving it the once over today and wanted to look into a suspicion i had about the head, specifically, that it may swivel. I was thinking this as the base (which clamps to the bars) is a separate casting from the head, as is the case with most swivel heads. The only way i could see of altering this though was via a nut located under the pulley, which led me to believe it may just be for manufacturing reasons that its in two parts. I have taken photos (before i cleaned it out, my bad!) detailing the separation between head/base and the nut which sits under the pulley.
Any help is much appreciated as always, cheers!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,265
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 1,265
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 1,265
I think I had one of these in the dim and distant past,it certainly looks familiar. To find out if the head swivels, remove the motor, one bolt, and loosen the nut under the pulley and take off the headstock.If both mating faces are smooth then the head must rotate. Give it a go and send more pics.
Frank S

Cheers, re-locating it on monday so will give it a look then, just needed the encouragement haha. What was your thoughts on the machine? Started it up and it sounds like it runs super smooth

I`ve had three Record lathes and have been satisfied with all of them.I now have the CL4 with variable speed and wouldn`t swap it for anything. I think you will be well pleased with what you have and Record are very good at answering questions, enjoy your turning.
Frank.

For what is a relatively expensive lathe (imo) I don't consider the CL4 particularly good - the finish is appalling, the need for a spanner to remove a chuck, and the lack of a hollow spindle and indexing facility drives me nuts.

Even if it isn't a swivelling head you could remove the tailstock and move the headstock to the tailstock end and turn overboard. However whichever head it is you still have the problem of supporting the toolrest. If you have a look on the Record website http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/sw ... aQS4F9Viko you will see the tool supports are heavy duty castings.

Another thing to be wary of with turning large blanks is the strain on the bearings. The small Record lathes did not have adjustable bearings and only a 1/3hp motor.

Regards Keith

Latest posts

Back