Does the table top HAVE to carry the weight of the router?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I plan on making a router table using a 2.2kw Chinese water cooled spindle + VFD bought when I thought I had the patience to build a cnc machine. Deep joy when I learned that setting it up as a simple spindle is a lot easier than for cnc. I've stayed away from routers because I can't stand the noise but it seems these only make a lot of noise when actually cutting and I can live with that.

It weighs about 11lbs and I've read a lot of posts about sagging tops so I got to thinking about the stainless steel box section I've got. It's about 8" x 4" and too long so it will be a pig to cut but bolted to a wall of the router cabinet I could bolt the router mount to the box section. Would mean I could use a much thinner top.

I don't know of any router tables that have an arrangement where the router isn't fastened to the top so I feel that I'm missing something...

I use a porter cable 7539 in my table. That weighs 17.5lbs and so far after 7 years i haven't noticed any sag in the top. :)

I think that they are normally fixed to the top so that there are as few variables to levelling it perfectly.

When you say that routers are noisy but your spindle isn't except when it cuts, I don't understand. Surely the router isn't running for many seconds before it cuts the job?

I don't see why you couldn't do as you describe though, as long as the top is sufficiently thick so as not to flex under its own weight

When you say that routers are noisy but your spindle isn't except when it cuts, I don't understand. Surely the router isn't running for many seconds before it cuts the job?

Some years ago I was with my brother when he was jointing up some BB and the noise, to me, was horrendous. The earache the next day, although mild, lasted over a week. Could have been a combo of extra noisy router and lousy ear defenders but it really put me off routers.

I've watched youtubes of similar spindles in cnc machines and the cutting noise isn't too bad for me but the air cooled routers/spindles emit a frequency that I find painful even at low Dbs.

As 11lbs isn't that heavy for a router, guess I'll go the traditional route and leave re-inventing the wheel for another project. :)

Thanks all for the help.

The router whether fitted to a cnc machine or router table is going to make the same noise, some routers are quieter than others and most will make more noise when cutting, a router table which encloses the router will cut the noise drastically, as will a set of ear defenders for ten squids.

As for the sagging, this refers to the insert to which the router is attached, too thin and it will sag, not the table top which is usually 30mm or so thick.

Andy

andersonec":1g2pof07 said:
The router whether fitted to a cnc machine or router table is going to make the same noise, some routers are quieter than others and most will make more noise when cutting, a router table which encloses the router will cut the noise drastically, as will a set of ear defenders for ten squids.

Andy, if these spindles are what I think they are then they are 3 phase induction motors and a great deal quieter than the noisy brush motors in routers. Speed control is achieved by variable frequency drives.

To the OP, at somewhere between 5-6kg your spindle will weigh in similar to a 2000W router, so sagging of the table shouldn't be any more of a concern. Depending on your chosen construction I would consider adding some angle iron to the underside of the table to stiffen it. What are you going to do for a height adjustment? Some form of z-axis type threaded adjustment? I've toyed with the idea myself as a spindle should have much more power to it, but not yet found any real challenges with my 2000W Triton.

Back