Doctor, Doctor! How do I get rid of you?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_d

Established Member
Reaction score
Dear readers,

My garden has been invaded by Dock Leaf plants and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a selective weed killer that can be purchased and sprayed in bulk (weeds have spread over an acre) but that won't kill the underlying grass?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

You could try Verdone Extra, this is a selective weedkiller that is sprayed on never used it myself as I always use granular preparation and apply using a spreader.

Cheers

Steve

First of all Chris I must point out I've never had to treat dock so don't know if the granular would work.

The granular I use is called Scotts lawn builder with weed control, it's a product that I stumbled on a few years back and my customers are happy with the end result so I've stuck with it.

http://www.lovethegarden.com/files/sc-lb-lawn-food-weed-label.pdf

There are probably better products out there but you have to be PA1 or PA6 certified to use them which I'm not.

Steve

henton49er":26uk2ojg said:
I would recommend Grazon 90 (kills docks, thistles and nettles), but only use it on a day when there is no wind at all or it will kill other garden plants as well. It is not environmentally friendly though.

http://www.dowagro.com/uk

has a lot of good info.

Mike

Grazon 90 is also what I use to control nettles and docks in my paddock and it is very effective, however I don't think you can buy it unless you have a sprayer licence.(Or can persuade a friendly farmer - I didn't say that :shock: )

Garden centre chemicals are a waste of time IMO unless you have a postage stamp garden. They are so watered down due to regulations (not condeming the regs BTW), that they are almost useless, are expensive and you have to use bucketloads of the stuff.

Bob

Garden centre chemicals are a waste of time IMO unless you have a postage stamp garden. They are so watered down due to regulations (not condeming the regs BTW), that they are almost useless, are expensive and you have to use bucketloads of the stuff.
That's why I use granular rather than liquid treatments.

Grazon 90 is not recommended for lawns or amenity grass areas only paddocks and the like.

Steve

Thanks everyone!

I should have said that my lawn is actually a 1 acre paddock so I've got my Father-in-law (farmer) to acquire some Doxstar/Pastor which are broad-acre alternatives offered by the same manufacturer of Grazon-90 mentioned by Mike (thanks).

Many thanks,
C

Back