do YOU start with a plan?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you start with a plan?

• have a sketch/photo of exact desired finished shape

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • have a sketch/photo of rough desired finished shape

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • have a picture in your mind of desired finished shape

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • only have a basic idea of form e.g. bowl, vase, etc.

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • let the wood dictate the form

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • just attack wood and see what happens

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
Usually I measure the dimensions of the wood and then head inside to lay it out on paper before sketching several ideas (usually just in profile). I then take my preferred sketch out to the shed at try to create what I've drawn.

So, as expected, many schools of thought. it seems that us beginners mostly prod things till something acceptable take shape and take it from there :) and the more experienced pro's know exactly what they're going to make before they start, which i suppose if you are doing it for a living is sort of required. :shock:
at the moment, to me, following a sketch is much like the egg cup challenge, having to reproduce something is not something i am toooo proficient at. but with time and practice it should get easier (i hope)
maybe those of us with no imagination should take a lead from the aforementioned thread and, like gordon and colin take the general shape or form of other (natural) forms as inspiration and develop our imaginations as well as our tool skills :D

=D> thanks to all for all the response, now ...wheres that wood??

It depends very much what I am doing. For instance, when I made the tractor/trailers then a plan was essencial, but if I am making a goblet or 2 then I have a mental idea as to what I want.

Chess sets need a plan and a set of gauges to ensure that everything is as near the same size as can be.

I have been turning for about 15 years or so so I can't really be called a newbe??

Jonzjob":2kjaak6p said:
I have been turning for about 15 years or so so I can't really be called a newbe??

Sorry, I didn't mean to tar everyone with the same brush or cast aspersions upon anyone's character or skills #-o :oops: :mrgreen:

none meant, none taken :D

Back