Do modern cars shut windows on locking???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Losos

Established Member
Reaction score
I just read on another forum that some of the newer cars will automatically close the windows when you activate the remote locking. Is this true??

If it is I hope no dog owners ever buy such a car. As I'm sure you all know (Irrespective of whether you actually own a dog now) it is absolutely mandatory to leave at least one window partly open if you leave a dog in your car. This applies at anytime, but in hot weather the animal can die in as little as 15 minutes with no ventilation.

BTW you are not allowed to smash in a window if you see a dog in distress, neither are the RSPCA, but you should call the Police who, God willing, will respond and break the glass, if the ignorant owner can not be found..

my car will do that but only if you hold your finger on the remote button for a few seconds.

It is a handy feature when you want to lock up and notice that a window has been left open by mistake.

Esc.

yeah, mine too....they call it 'global closure' :roll: . Also works if you use the key in the door and hold it in the lock position for a few seconds.

So you are saying you have the 'option' to lock the car while not closing the windows - that sounds like a good solution - just wish people would think (if they leave a dog in car) and not just walk away, as happens sometimes I guess.

well at least now they have electric windows that don't cut your fingers off
when they close, so i guess some progress. always two steps forward and three back. could be an eu directive of course :twisted:

paul :wink:

My Megane did if you pressed the locking button twice to deadlock. If you just pressed once to lock the doors then windows stayed open.

Yep

All my cars have done this for the past 10 years - you just hold the 'lock' button down on the remote and the windows will close.
On ones with electric sunroof, that closes too on the cars I have owned

My car allows you to lock the doors and then close the windows by holding down the remote button. It also allows me to unlock the car and open the windows by holding down the other button - useful to cool the interior a bit before getting in when it's really hot.

MisterFish

One thing to remember, don't lock the dog in the car with the remote, unless the dog is not going to move!
My remote arms the alarm and when the dog moves to watch were I am going the alarm goes of, Iona looked quite surprised when it happened. If you lock the car with the key in the door, it just locks without arming the alarm.

I don't make a habit of leaving Iona in the car but have had to do it a couple of times when picking stuff up from places that don't like dogs going in.

Hi Dave,
I think it's acceptable to do that, if there's some ventilation, and normal English weather - We do try to keep it to less than 45 minutes, 30 is about the norm. and like you say we try to avoid taking the dogs unless one of us is staying with the car. Agree it's unavoidable sometimes.

Latest posts

Back