DNA The Thief Catcher

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
It appears that DNA found at a scene of a crime is not only (as I once believed) checked in murder or rape cases, but also crimes of theft http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1841071 The little scumbag knew that smoking can kill, but I bet he never dreamt that it could get him arrested. :D

The police maybe holding onto the cigarette butt as evidence, but his biggest problem will be his cellmate Bubba who will be after holding another type of butt :lol:

Cheers

Mike

The 19-year-old, whose address was listed in court papers as 25 Ness Place, Aberdeen, has been ordered to stay in every night for six months after stealing the luxury car from a street in Danestone, Aberdeen.
What a draconian punishment :shock: Six months of watching Big Brother.

What sort of message does that send to would-be car thieves :x

lemonjeff":6wc02jst said:
The 19-year-old, whose address was listed in court papers as 25 Ness Place, Aberdeen, has been ordered to stay in every night for six months after stealing the luxury car from a street in Danestone, Aberdeen.
What a draconian punishment :shock: Six months of watching Big Brother.

What sort of message does that send to would-be car thieves :x

Your right, but you will have noticed that up here the address of the accused is always splashed across the newspaper, so if anyone cares to get their own back there is nothing stopping them :lol:

Cheers

Mike

A few years ago, I worked as a forensic analyst in the police. One day, we had a DNA match on a guy who'd been done for a minor offence - theft from a car (I think)............he got a perfect match against a rape that occured some 15 years earlier. I bet he thought he'd got away with it..

SPinonit":37u1pcck said:
A few years ago, I worked as a forensic analyst in the police. One day, we had a DNA match on a guy who'd been done for a minor offence - theft from a car (I think)............he got a perfect match against a rape that occured some 15 years earlier. I bet he thought he'd got away with it..

Yep if you have commited a crime such as that it will catch up with you in the end, unless you live like a hermit.

Cheers

Mike

On the DNA thing, it is said that it is a million to one that someone else has your DNA.

Does that mean in the UK there are 50 other people out there with my DNA type make up?

Spread them around and that means within about twenty five miles there is someone else with similar DNA to mine.

If so that's too close for comfort for these 'look what we've found cases'.

Gareth

t8hants":26jbdpi6 said:
On the DNA thing, it is said that it is a million to one that someone else has your DNA.

Does that mean in the UK there are 50 other people out there with my DNA type make up?

Spread them around and that means within about twenty five miles there is someone else with similar DNA to mine.

If so that's too close for comfort for these 'look what we've found cases'.

Gareth

Gareth, as I understand it our DNA consists of so many markers (17 or more) and the more markers they can match the higher chances are that no one else (except an identical twin) has your DNA. So 17 markers could be a billion to 1, where 5 markers could be as low as 200,000 to 1. But they do not rely on just DNA especially where there is a low marker count, they will almost certainly have other evidence.

I take your point though, even on a million to 1 the party might be innocent.

Cheers

Mike

Rest assured, the human genome is large enough to allow differentiation between any two individuals in the world. Its composed of 3 billion bases, and approx 15 million of those are divergent among the population. Without going into too much detail, that is 15 million factorial possible combinations. Seeing as predicting 6 lottery numbers from, 49 balls gives odds of approx 1 in 14 million, having the same 15 million bases from 3 billion as someone else is a little less common ! Its merely a question of how many you test before you are satified you have a match or not. With the advent of cheap whole exome sequencing it will be impossible to confuse two samples at the genetic level. Doesn't stop the tubes being mislabelled though!

Your only worry is if you have a criminal mastermind identical twin - although if you are found to be a match to a crime scene and you know you didnt do it, the pool of alternative suspects is relatively small ;)

Steve

In another similar story a guy got done a few years back for pee-ing up a wall in the street whilst drunk! His DNA was taken and he was found guilty of a rape 6 years earlier.

Fantastic technology!

DNA should be taken in the maternity ward

I wonder if the fact there was a complete database ( after a few generations of births ) that crime might fall ?

Discuss.................

loz":7byk5raf said:

I wonder if the fact there was a complete database ( after a few generations of births ) that crime might fall ?

Discuss.................

Whilst they're at it might be an idea to RFID tag their @rse at the same time. :roll: That way you know where they are when you need to "collect" them.

loz":2tyqh4hq said:

Discuss.................

I'd agree with that completely, but then I was well up for ID cards until that got scrapped. People worry about "ID theft" and the rights to privacy but surely if it stops or catches one murderer or paedophile then it'd be worth it. I would worry about what people have to hide if they blankly refuse. :roll:

WoodAddict":2o42gdld said:
loz":2o42gdld said:

Discuss.................

I'd agree with that completely, but then I was well up for ID cards until that got scrapped. People worry about "ID theft" and the rights to privacy but surely if it stops or catches one murderer or paedophile then it'd be worth it. I would worry about what people have to hide if they blankly refuse. :roll:

I'm sorry but I don't buy into the 'what have you got to hide' brigade. I'm totally against the concept of ID cards and national DNA databases etc as it is totally alien to what this country is about and what my father and his father fought for.

RogerS":2qhrq9yt said:
Perhaps we should not be too complacent. Try Googling 'false positives' and DNA.

Try not using google as a primary source when considering complex scientific information. The internet is wonderful and all, but like the gene pool it has a shallow end which although shallow, is very broad :wink:

Steve

StevieB":1sfjamev said:
RogerS":1sfjamev said:
Perhaps we should not be too complacent. Try Googling 'false positives' and DNA.

Try not using google as a primary source when considering complex scientific information. The internet is wonderful and all, but like the gene pool it has a shallow end which although shallow, is very broad :wink:

Steve

True but it does point you at abstracts and other scientific journals.

I don't have strong views one way or the other, but can someone please explain to me why, if a DNA database is an invasion of privacy, a database of fingerprints or a database of mugshots is not?

Brittleheart":85bowjg9 said:
I don't have strong views one way or the other, but can someone please explain to me why, if a DNA database is an invasion of privacy, a database of fingerprints or a database of mugshots is not?

No-one is saying they are not. What was suggested was everyones' DNA being taken at birth. If they wanted to take our fingerprints I'd be unhappy about that as well....mind you, be a bit pointless if taken at birth!

RogerS":3akazerm said:
WoodAddict":3akazerm said:
loz":3akazerm said:

Discuss.................

I'm sorry but I don't buy into the 'what have you got to hide' brigade. I'm totally against the concept of ID cards and national DNA databases etc as it is totally alien to what this country is about and what my father and his father fought for.

Couldn't agree with you more. There is to much of this big brother sort of stuff already. I am also against that central medical database (that's why I opted out), but only because any Tom, Dick or Harry that works for the NHS, Insurers and even the Police can view my private medical history If I was a criminal then I would expect the powers that be to keep an eye on me. But as I have never even had a parking ticket, my private life is just that private

Cheers

Mike

Cheers

Mike

I'm with Roger and Mike, and I wish they would both budge up a bit and give me my fair share of the Bench; and why am I always last to get to use the Computer?

Otherwise..

Why not implants at Birth?
Ones that can be updated as we get older with all our personal information, that can track our Location, record our movements, in fact anything that anyone might want to know about us.

Back