DIY circular saw sharpening/dressing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calumtod

Reaction score
I have an old Rob Roy petter diesel site saw with a hefty circular blade (no carbide here I suspect) that I acquired to cut up large blocks. I know that in the bad old days the regular saw dressing was done on site by just about anyone with the knowledge. I've searched the net for guidance with negative result. I know the difference between a ripsaw and a crosscut but that's about it. Is there anyone who can advise me how to set about it?

Hi calumtod,

Welcome to the forum.:D

I have done this a long time ago and have posted a brief outline of it sometime ago, I will need to search for it, sorry but that will have to wait until tomorrow evening now. :-$

Hi Calumtod
If your blade is TCT send it away for sharpening.If it is a plate blade (It seems likely) then I recommend the book by Leonard Lee of Veritas fame:
"The complete guide to sharpening" has a chapter on circular blades.
I've found it a usefull book for all manner of problems

If you don't mind the instructions being a bit old, have a look at "The Art of Saw Filing, scientifically treated and explained on Philosphical Principles" by H. W. Holly, from 1864. You can download a scanned copy from the highly recommended Toolemera Press site at http://www.toolemera.com/grr/bks/tlpbooks1850-189.html.

It has a section on circular saws, exploring the geometry of the teeth, and how the blade height affects the cut. It's at the end of the book, and is a bit light on step-by-step detail, but you could follow the general principles explained with reference to handsaws.

Andy

The Holly book is fascinating. HAven't had time to read through yet. (The downside now is that 'herthatdoesn'thaveashed' now wants to get twinpeaks dvds)

I have had a search and hereis the post I was thinking of. Very crude, not HSE approved, the info in the books is probably a much better bet.

If you want a pair of clogs like my avatar:
Laker_000.jpg

Then you need to look at my clogmakers site, here.
If you look at the pictures and prices page you will find mine, they are not traditional, I asked Jeremy to make some based on some he had so they are named after me, Laker, 7th picture down, they are not cheap but when you see the skilled work in making them, the price is very fair.

Mr Spanton where are you? We're both Rybicki wearers :lol: but then I still know Rick.......

Scrit

Scrit":3oy5nn9u said:
Rybicki wearers :lol: but then I still know Rick.......

I have a pair of Ricky's clogs, very nice work, but he stopped making them. He put me in touch with Jeremy, after refunding the deposit I had paid a year earlier for him to make me a second pair. If he ever goes back to it let me know I would buy from him like a shot.

Back