Display Stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9fingers,

I just looked at both Wixey and iGaging web sites to determine what level of accuracy they are claiming.

They both claim that they can measure to +/-.002" with a repeat accuracy of +/-.001". So they are identical as to precision/error. I used the Remote Planer style package as the comparator but both companies re-use the same data and page for all their products. I assume because of identical technology use in all products.

Ignoring the appearance of the read heads since these can be changed to look different for marketing reasons...its just that the costs of making new or different moulds is expensive.

The actual surface to be read seems identical as to size and pattern.
The product range is identical.

I notice that Wixey do not name the technology they use neither do IGaging.

IGaging claim to be Made in the USA.

My betting is that they come from the same Asian factory with differing brand names. The USA has no laws requiring a % of US material input to be able to say Made In USA so import the bits and assemble to a package with minimal effort.

regards
Alan

I think the Wixey ones come from a different far eastern factory, maybe thats why they charge more than twice the price of teh Igaging ones $35 vs $80.

But if you want them from the same factory then these are the same thing with a Warco lable and Chester UK also sell the readout with teh Hafco branding on it.

J

Hi Alan,

Please accept my apologies, I guess I must have been looking at something different in the Wixey range. I saw a system from Wixey to fit to a table saw and compared that to the Igaging ones that I have.
I can confirm your suggestion that Igaging are made in Asia. It says made in China on the boxes.

Jason. I agree your photo show identical displays to those marked I gaging although I could not find them on the Warco site this morning.
Chester seem to be offering Igaging like displays for use with a different sort of scale.

I believe the technology to be the same for each of the above.

Bob

As I said to Bob on another forum all the calliper type scales can be suseptable to dirt and the readouts a bit tempremental. I binned the ones I had on my mill last year and went for the Glass Linea scales and full function DRO, even with these you have to be carefull. For almost bomb proof you need to me looking at the likes of Microsyn or Spherosyn but at an even greater cost.

J

I've had a caliper type system mounted INSIDE the cabinet of my table saw within a few mm of the blade measuring blade height.
This has been installed for 6 months and gives no trouble. Dry dust does not seem to worry them.
I agree totally that caliper types are prone to problems with oil/water/machine coolant.
I too use glass scales from heidenhain in my engineering workshop. These have be in use for 30 years and have had only only bulb failure on one scale in that time. However that system cost me around £1000 30 years ago and is in a totally different league to the low cost ones around today.

Bob

The glass ones are larger and nowhere near as robust as the magnetic ones. They also need further shielding to prevent damage from cutting fluids. I'll have to bite the bullet at some point though and splash out on something decent by the look of it. I just don't trust far eastern electronics ... :lol:

Not heard any reports of teh magnetic ones, suppose it depends on how strong the magnets are?

I don't use flood coolant on my mill and have not had any problems with them in over a year of use, I've got the GS500 slin scales and they don't take up much room even with teh covers on.

If you don't trust fareastern then save up for Newell, but not totally sure where they are made, you can cover them in coolant without a problem and being so small I've seen one fitted INSIDE the topslide of a lathe.

J

Yes, I spotted that in a Model Engineering magazine yesterday but for some reason, they are not stocking the 35"/890mm model.

Bob

Latest posts

Back