Dishwasher problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
We have a Bosch dishwasher, had it several years, no problems.

Until recently.

Our dishes are starting to come out not entirely clean. I don't mean some of last nights lasagne still stuck to the dish, I mean there is a deposit on everything. White, gritty. I can feel it rather than see it. It washes off under the tap easily enough, but that defeats the point of having a dishwasher!

Does anyone know what could be causing this? We make sure the salt and rinse-aid is kept up, and the machine itself is cleaned regularly.

Steve,

We had a dishwasher repair man out a few days ago, not for the same problem as yours, but his advice was, to keep your dishwasher working properly run it at the highest temp at least once a week. He also said that in his experience the dishwasher cleaners do nothing for the workings, only gives the stainless a bit more of a shine.

Perhaps run a few washes at highest temp with the machine empty?

Cheers,
John.

Steve, mine does this from time to time also. If it's not a salt/rinse aid issue check you don't have either a partially blocked drain or filter. AFAIK the stuff on your dishes is the stuff that was on them when you loaded the machine albeit in a rather pulverised form, if the dirty water can't drain away fast enough i believe it can get blown back onto the dishes during the rinse cycle.

As an aside, a little anecdote on dishwashers:

My dishwasher was replaced last year when our previous one a (10 year old at least) Hotpoint finally died. Everywhere I went I insisted I wanted another Hotpoint because of the reliability of it's predecessor, and everywhere I was advised to buy a Bosch...."much better machine" was the common opinion.
After ignoring all the advice and buying a Hotpoint to find it was rather disappointing in build quality, design, and performance I had a conversation with my local electrical shop proprietor. After regaling him with my tale of woe he asked me how old my previous machine was again. "Oh, there's your explanation", he said, "back then, they were made by Bosch!" :roll: #-o

Mark

Steve

No particular advice to offer on your specific problem but I just wanted to say that we used to have a Bosch dishwasher and it was a total dog. It had intermittent faults that would never happen when the service engineer was present. But as soon as he was gone, the machine would fail to start properly, miss out parts of the programme and generally muck us about. In the end, we got rid of it and replaced it with....another Bosch! We worked on the assumption that a second one couldn't possibly be as bad as the first one! This strange and perverse reasoning has in fact paid off because the second machine has worked perfectly.

Mind you, we've just had a Chinese made Bosch vacuum cleaner fail at only two years old so I've come to doubt their quality control. Next time, it's Miele for us.

Regards.

We bought a Bosch, and are very pleased, but you do have to be careful, if you look at the door you can find the stamp saying where it's made and it's only the more expensive ones that are made in Germany, I can't recall offhand where the cheaper lower model is made but I don't think it was China. Everyone said don't buy a hotpoint cooker but we found one locally for £400 on special, took a gamble and it's been brilliant, wouldn't risk a Hotpoint washing machine though, Zanussi for that.

Cheers Alan

my dish washer is the wife the only problem with it she has a mouth to answer me back and to tell me to do more or she will stick her boot up my ar--

Well we've gone back to running it on Normal instead of Eco and indeed the problem has gone away. So thankl you very much for that!

my misses destroyed our miele by putting d/w powder in the salt compartment. Irreversible damage :shock:

woodbloke":1hg0j9wn said:
senior":1hg0j9wn said:
my misses destroyed our miele by putting d/w powder in the salt compartment. Irreversible damage :shock:

....very large #-o - Rob

Oh come on, I know she's put a few pounds on but thats a bit below the belt :lol: :lol:

We started with Zanussi then went Hotpoint, AEG, Bosch and have ended up with Miele and have stuck there for 11 years now, still sounds as quiet and washes as well as it did when new. Every piece of white goods we have to change is now replaced by Miele.

I did have the advantage of knowing the UK service manager of Miele personally (used to be my boss in his previous job) and bought all my Miele stuff throught the staff discount system - half price :eek:

Unfortunately he has now left so I am back to paying retail like everyone else :( . Still worth it though.

The Miele engineer told me the same as John engineer in the above post that you should run a highest temp run every month to clear it out and the same applies to washing machines especially if you are in a hard water area.

Just thought I'd tell you that we have been running it on Normal rather than Eco for a couple of weeks and all is well again, so thanks very much for the advice, much cheaper than buying a new one!

I guess we'll have to find other ways of reducing our carbon footprint :(.

Thank you all very much.

Cheers
Steve

soda crytals are very good in the washing machine, and reduce the amount of washing powder you need to use.
i just read the blurb, but not sure if it can be used in a dishwasher.
however i thought that every so often, you needed to run the machines empty on a hot cycle to ensure that the grease etc flushes away
and at that time, maybe soda could be used.

worth looking at :twisted:

paul :wink:

Back