Discussion on today's 1:00 news

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The NHS is clearly in a massive crisis.

I dont know what the solution should be and Im not sure any political party has the courage to make any manifesto pledges of any real substance because nobody knows how to solve the crisis.

Its always easy to blame the current government but I feel the crisis is a culmination of decades of underfunding, and ever increasing number of people requiring treatment. I dont think the complete separation of state and private funding helps.

On a side note, I do wonder if the UK should reduce the foreign aid budget to direct towards combating the terrorist threat we currently face, which to me is a fair candidate for aid and it involves foreign people

It seems that every new hospital built in the last few decades to replace old ones has a big percentage drop in the number of beds. Now I know that operations etc are a lot more advanced, such as keyhole etc, but it occurs to me that with a big rise in the population due to people living longer and immigration then the bed no.s need to either stay the same or increase. The other thing is financing hospitals by PFI. The payback on them is enormous and nobody in their right mind would buy a house using the same method if it was available. Combine the interest and payments and then £200 bills to change a lightbulb and its quite easy to see where all the money is disappearing to. Apparently we also have in the UK the worst ratio of managers to staff and penpushers justifying their jobs by creating red tape. The big wonder is not that why some of it is failing but the fact that some of it actually works despite the political interference from every party who has ever been in charge!

Mike

Jacob":172dc7vy said:
.....But he's not that bright at all. His book on the Romans is a good read but it's childish comedy compared to serious equivalents like Mary Beard's book.

Wow, Jacob. I didn't realise that you were such an erudite historian with a string of qualifications after your name. Please...do point us in the direction of some of your peer-reviewed theses relating to the period. I am sure that we will all learn something.

RogerS":i4dgt8zk said:
Jacob":i4dgt8zk said:
.....But he's not that bright at all. His book on the Romans is a good read but it's childish comedy compared to serious equivalents like Mary Beard's book.

Wow, Jacob. I didn't realise that you were such an erudite historian with a string of qualifications after your name. Please...do point us in the direction of some of your peer-reviewed theses relating to the period. I am sure that we will all learn something.
Try reading the books yourself Roger. You can have your own opinion you know, you don't need a degree but you must be able to read!
Is that your problem perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back