disc/belt sander sharpening jig.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjmc1957

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I was wondering if any one had knocked up a 'homage' to the Sorby belt sander yet, if so do you have the destruction's to share?

Thanks

I tried it with one of the bench grinders with a belt on one end and a Sorby Universal Sharpening Jig. Found it impossible to use for all my tools as the Pro Edge allows the belt itself to rotate around the drive wheel (i.e. the belt unit changes angle rather than the grinding platform).

My trouble was finding an angle where I could do a skew without hitting the jig or base (at say 15 degrees) and a scraper at almost right angles (say 80). Add in getting a fingernail jig in the right place to rotate correctly and it was almost impossible. Bear in mind that you will use different parts of a grinder wheel for each tool normally - for example your scraper may be almost level with the centreline whilst your skew will be well up the wheel towards the top.

Different jigs may fair better or indeed freehand sharpening.

If you could make a grinding wheel of around 6-8 inches for a belt however then it would work with any bench grinder jig.

I seem to recall Cap'n Eddie Castelein on Youtube did a jig for use on a belt disc sander. If you search for his name you should be able to find it.

Ian

There was a guy at the Scottish woodworking show a few weeks back who had made a very creditable copy of the Sorby using an Aldi grinder/beltsander combination. Can't remember which woodturning club he was with, but someone else who was there might also have noticed it.

Hi All

Many thanks for the replies, I think I was trying to be too discreet, what I was after was a home made Sorby Pro-edge copy of some description.
Cheers Kevin

Back