Did someone say Ci1?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Well as there has been the odd passing comment about the Ci1 I thought it was worth the expense of a trial run.

To this end returned home lunchtime to find the postman had visited with a little package from my friendly importer who got someone stateside to pop round to the corner shop.

inserts.jpg

A couple of hours later sees suitable bits of wood, metal and a screw married together for a trial run.

DSC02940.JPG
DSC02941.JPG

Not much point in posting pictures of the messy workshop, Stu's done that already.

I can confirm though that the cutting tips do what it says on the tin, albeit a little brutally, they are VERY sharp.

Next task is to make the shield that Stu recons you need, he's right.

So far not much finesse but wood removal a plenty.

Stu in Tokyo":hclen3ow said:
Is that a homemade shaft for the tool?

Yes Stu, just a bit of 5/8" mild steel with a little bit of clearance taken off the end to clear the cutting edges.

Might configure some more stock when I get some to form an angled shear scraper using the tips.

Not had time to play much, took me 15 minutes after tea to clean up all the stuff I created in about 30 seconds after I fitted it to the handle.

Paul.J":361vh6l8 said:
Do you think you could have made/make the tips now you have seen them with the same results :?:

No way Paul, I do not know what the spec. of the carbide is but the edges are considerably sharper than my metal turning bits, surprising thing is the cut rate considering it is presented just like a flat scraper, yes it tears end grain but it also cuts fine continuous shavings like a glorified shear scraper if you get it presented right. Time will tell if they can be re-sharpened to the same standard.

But it is brutal, good work piece fixing, good tool support and firm tool control seems to be the order from what little I've used it so far.

Not a tool for the timid or small lathe user I think.

Paul.J":2dqo0q4o said:
Is there any hints/tips on sharpening them :?:
How do you sharpen em :?:

I doubt it, they would be considered throw away items I think by most people.

My immediate reaction should there come a time when sharpening is needed would be to just lap the top surface down on a fine diamond stone.

Agree these are probably best regarded as throwaway items, but might they sharpen on a green grit stone? I use one for sharpening TC tipped metalworking lathe tools (when I chip the end of one :oops: ) and it seems to work OK.

how does the cut compare to HSS? i scrape turn a lot of mdf and am always sharpening. it would be interesting to know how these tips work when a little blunt. I use some carbide tips and sharpen them with a diamond hone but never found them good enough for finish cuts.

dickm":2x0dgf7w said:
Agree these are probably best regarded as throwaway items, but might they sharpen on a green grit stone?

There is no way that a green grit stone would achieve the sharpness level of these bits, (and I sharpen my metal cutting tips) they are razor sharp, placing the tool down carelessly on a cloth or plastic sheet will see it cut straight through, finger slicing sharp.

Finial":2x0dgf7w said:
how does the cut compare to HSS?

I cut some dried Cherry today as a trial, going straight into face of blank with plunge cut gave a mixture of clean cigaret paper thick full cutter width shavings.

Cutting on periphery of blank using the edge of the cutter traversing sideways at depths from 1-5mm produced mirror clean surface almost ready to take a finish, at times I had continuous shavings disappearing over my shoulder for the whole cut traverse of about 50mm, all down to sharpness of edge, no bevel contact, most uncanny, goes against all the 'Book' teachings.

Due to the size of the bits they are obviously not for detail work but they sure do remove wood quickly and with a substantial shaft behind them carve out material in a straight plunge cut without chatter or sense of catching.

Time will tell how long the edges last but I think Stu has been giving them a pretty good run.

Not an all singing and dancing tool by any means but I think anyone needing to remove bulk material in a hurry could well find a use for these tips in their arsenal.

Trueing up a Cherry Blank with a traverse cut.
DSC02945.JPG

The shavings do tend to spread a little.
DSC02947.JPG

DSC02948.JPG

DSC02950.JPG

DSC02951.JPG

Rough shaping the outside of the Cherry.
DSC02952.JPG

Rough shaping the outside of a Piece of Elm.
DSC02955.JPG

These two may be of interest to Finial

Eagle eyed will spot a bit of endgrain tear on the Cherry.

DSC02953.JPG

Traverse from the edge.
DSC02954.JPG

Plunge cut full width.
Guess it will be a while before any indication of how long the edges last.

sounds brilliant, but do let us know what it is like after a bit more use. i don't want to get one and find it cuts like a dream with a new edge but it doesn't stay good enough for a finish cut for very long on abrasive material. If it is a new type of carbide and can be honed by hand with diamond it would be well worth a try. Or if it lasts long enough to be cost effective as a disposable tip.

What is the approximate bevel angle?

Thanks for taking the trouble to try the mdf. looks fine on the plunge cut but a bit ragged on the traverse - is the edge chipping?

While it can cut dry cherry it will cut mdf but how long for is what i would like to know. It is very hard on tools.

Paul.J":381zlp3n said:
Is it intended to do a finish cut,or for just the fast removal of wood :?:

Fast removal of waste wood Paul.
Judging by experience so far I guess these tips are going to be my weapon of choice for trueing up blanks in the future.

Tips not cheap by the time you have paid Vat etc. but if they hold an edge as appears to be the case with Stu's experience I can see them being cost effective fitted to any 1/2" tool holder.

Finial":381zlp3n said:
... bit ragged on the traverse - is the edge chipping?

No chipping, the little bits you can see I deliberately left for the picture are feather edging and brush off with the hand.

Back