Dewalt Radial Arm Saw - Help Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris By The River

Established Member
Reaction score
A little help would be appreciated please:

I have been given (smug) a DW1251 radial arm saw, 1985 model with stand - where I am going to put it I do not know ( I won't admit this to the good lady though!!), but you can't turn these things down can you. Generally the condition is very good - I have cleaned it up, repaired the broken orange handle and put a decent Freud blade on it.

The problem is that the machine is completely DEAD. The blade spins freely by hand and, yes, I have changed the fuse in the plug!!

Is there a common fault? All there seems to be is a switch, a capacitor (don't know what that does) and the motor.

My electrical testing abilities are limited but I would appreciate any advice please

There is also a fuse on the top of the motor on the right marked "motor protection Fuse" may be worth checking

Jason

The switches are notorious on these and very expensive.

Take out the rocker switch and bypass it to test motor.

There is an ebay seller who sells the switches a fair bit cheaper or just keep it bypassed and fit a push button NVR within easy reach along the front edge of the table - left or right side according to your handedness.

Mine is a DW 1753 (3 phase) but they are all pretty similar.

I've a manual somewhere.

Bob

Edit: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TOOLS-UK-for-D ... D-MARCRIST

£43 from normal spares stockists

Switch bypassed today (thanks to Coleysbiscuit's photo) and the motor works beautifully!!! Off to Ebay to get a new switch.

Does anyone have an instruction manual on .pdf available ????

Here we go Chris, you can download it from here

http://www.black-sugar.net/BigFiles/

It says that it is for the DW125 but as far as my investigations have found out the DW125 is the Aussie version of the DW1251.

I seem to remember another member having the manual which I think was Mailee, so if the above is not what you want he might be able to help.

Cheers

Mike

I had the same problem as you when i got (also) given one of these. I took the motor down to an expert to get it all checked over. He told me my switch was nackered. he also said under no circumstances run it straight from mains because..

The motor on power up is running at 20amps, once running it drops to around 2 - 3amps. The official switch automatically switches the power down after startup. He suggested to me a different way of wiring it (as its only in a home workshop). I cant remember the exact wiring right now and i cant nip to look but it now consists of two switches. i bought these from a local sparkys for £1.50!! It is one on - off switch and one instant - off switch.

Its working perfectly now! and if you do decide to do this let me know and il try and get the wiring next weekend.

James

Back