dewalt dc618 - how good is it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevieC54

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am making some planters from 40mm thick Iroko hardwood.

Would a Dewalt DC618 nailer with 63mm nails be able to fasten the pieces together whilst gluing ?

Thanks

Answering my own question -

After buying a DC618 and doing a quick test, using 63mm nails there is no problem nailing two pieces of 40mm thick Iroko hardwood together.
I even had to reduce the depth setting to stop the nails being driven 3mm below the surface.

Now - I can't wait to start making the actual job.

i have just bought a paslode im350, which is already playing up.
I need the paslode for 90mm fixings, as i work with joists etc but after looking at your comments on the forum i am thinking of buying the 618 sometime in the foreseeable (when i can justify spending 400quid to the mrs).
Is it going to be ok for professional use all day, fixing architrave, floorboards, skirting and panels and so on?
I have heard a lot of negative feedback about the paslodes, they need a lot of attention which i cannot give ; is the de walt less high maintenance?
any advice will help please....
Gotta work tomorrow!!! aaaarrgghhhhh!!!!

stevie, None of my business of course, but why use a lovely wood like iroko for a planter?
Rich.

Yes neil no prblem for constant use. I have one and my friend has one who is also a joiner and he uses his day in day out without problem. It seems to be a good gun for the mid range work although you would still need a larger capacity gun for framing of course. Batteries last well and it comes with two anyway. HTH. :wink:

mailee you're a star.
Now all i need to do is find a cheap one.
I bought the paslode 2nd hand and am wonderin if it was worth it.
They are SO tempremental.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies,

I have a number (500+) of roughly metre long lengths of small section Iroko pieces which vary from 30mm x 10mm to 45mm square, I have machined some down to 40mm x 35mm which I am using to make a few planters while I am thinking of other uses for the wood.

I have also just purchased a job-lot of planed Larch in short lengths (1.2metres) with a 40mm x 35mm section so these are also ideal for planters and similar outdoor projects.

I can't really comment on the long-term performance of the Nail Gun, because I haven't really used it in earnest, I have found however that the density / hardness of the wood I have varies tremendously and in some pieces the gun struggles to drive the nails fully in, whilst in other pieces there is no problem.

Steve, please post some pics of the finished planters. Planters are high on my todo list ;)

Planters - not finished off yet - but nearly there
IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

I like those Stevie.

How have you done the bases, and are the side pieces glued and pinned vertically ?

Cheers, Paul. :D

Hi Paul,

I haven't completed the bottoms of the planters yet, but I will probably be making the bottoms from 1/2" wbp plywood, which will rest on the top of the three feet which are just visible in the bottom photo, these are short pieces of Iroko which are stepped and screwed into the bottom of the sides, all the wood used is Iroko, about 40mm x 35mm section.

The two planters were made using different methods, although you need to look closely to spot the difference.

With the first one I made the sides are glued and biscuit joined, this was a slow method, but gave the best results, the second one was glued and pinned vertically, but I only did about two rows like this because I was struggling pinning with the different hardness of the pieces of wood, I completed the rest of the planter using glue and 6mm dowels, this wasn't as successful as the first method because the drilling for the dowels was a bit off and created some gaps between the ends of the pieces.

I have enough pieces cut for a third planter, so I think I will go back to the glue and biscuit method.

What are the advantages of the 18v DeWalt over the 12v or 14.4v versions? My needs are for fitting window sills, door linings and skirting boards for a house renovation project after which it will go onto eBay.

Back