Delivery of a new saw to restricted access workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Monkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

As a first time poster (but long time reader) on this site I'd like to firstly acknowledge the quality and depth of the information that's available within these pages, well done to all involved and Sorry for the long post.

I need some help. I'm on the verge of buying a new table saw and, based largely on the reviews and comments from this site, I think I’ll be twanging the plastic at a TS2500Ci (but I’m still open to late persuasion). Previously I’ve been limited by space, but despite this I have managed to work reasonably well with my EB PK200 with extension and sliding table (bound for Ebay). I’ve found the EB to be pretty reasonable and accurate once set-up, but can be knocked out of square, so I’m looking forward to the arrival of a big slab of cast iron.

My new workshop is built at the end of my garden and measures 18x14ft with almost 10ft to the top of the ridge and 7ft to the eves and a monster thick concrete floor. One end has 7ft wide double doors which open onto a utility area if I need more space. Best of all it’s dedicated, so there’s none of the usual space gobbling items that generally render my garage useless. So it’s almost perfect…… Errrr, no.

My problem is that the workshop is 75 feet away from my house and the only access from my driveway is down the side of the house or through the house and out the back door. The side way is just wide enough for a standard wheelbarrow and the route through the house is limited by standard door widths, door sills and so on. So my question is, has anyone had a TS2500Ci delivered to a restricted access site? I’m not so much worried about the weight coz I’m happy to build a trolley that can go down the side of the house and across the lawn, but are there any ‘breakdown’ options for delivery and would you consider it advisable to ‘build up’ the saw myself. My local dealer says the delivery drivers are only obliged to drop the saw on my drive (I’m guessing this is direct from NMA).

Some additional questions. I think I have plenty of space, so is the 2m sliding carriage worth it or stick to 1.4m?

Micro adjuster on the fence, is it worth it?

After looking over a TS2500Ci at a dealer, I was a little surprised at the amount of play that was evident with the standard mitre gauge in the table slot. Have any users had issues with this?

On the same dealers table, there seemed to be some rocking evident on the sliding carriage, is this likely to be down to a badly set-up showroom saw?

Cheers, Jon

Go for a FOX. Also you will probably find whatever saw you get it will be in a number of pieces easy enough to transport to workshop.

Koolwabbit

I'm in Aussie
I got a new cast iron biggie TS with a sliding table recently
It's HUGE
Came in packed cases reasonably sized and self assembly
I assume they all come like this
Greeting from an ex Makem and Takem
Jedo

You might call the dealer and ask for the size and number of packages the saw is shipped in. There might be several boxes banded together which makes it easier. If need be, you can unpack it in the front and take the parts back one at a time.

I had a lot of luck with the dealer "Homewood" in Worthing. I had a bad back at the time and not only did they assemble it, they carried it in. I am trying to remember if they brought it in through the front door of the previus house or not. Certainly with all the bits off, it made it through the front door of my most recent house. Its well worth ringing Dave at Homewood and asking - he assembles and carries them into a lot of peoples houses - so should be able to give you a definative answer.

Adam

Jedo_03":1tsqnsmh said:
I'm in Aussie
I got a new cast iron biggie TS with a sliding table recently
It's HUGE
Came in packed cases reasonably sized and self assembly
I assume they all come like this
Greeting from an ex Makem and Takem
Jedo

sorry to highjack this thread jon, but i'd like to say welcome to the forum
jedo from a farringdon mackem :)

Hi Jon
Had the same problem! I had some time ago made a mobile stand using a piece of 600mm square 18mm MDF with 4 castors from Axminster (£10 2 swivel 2 non swivel castors). I placed a piece of 18mm plywood same size as the crate the saw came in on to the mobile stand (a Fox from Rutlands, weight 140kgs excluding the sliding table rails delivered separately 35kgs) approx 850mm wide, slide it off the pallet onto the mobile stand and transported it down the side of the house. To cross the lawn I placed several sheets of old plywood 6mm thick in front of the mobile stand then lifted the front 2 wheels on to it followed by the rear, then just kept transferring sheets in front of the stand, had I not done this it would have just sunk in the lawn and I would have had the devil of a job to move it at all. Hope this helps.

Cheers Con

Jon,
Welcome to the forum. I think you should be fine getting it down the side of your house on a castored trolley or some such. I got the TS4010 through a fairly narrow space - on its own wheels, better than the TS2500's optional wheels it has to be said - into my shop. The dimensions of the top are really the only limiting factor to taking it fully built wherever you want.

I would not personally go for the 2m sliding table because I don't cut full sheets of ply on the TS and I think most folk prefer to avoid this if they can. It's no fun at all whatever your available space. I have the 1.4m and its has done all I need- having broken sheets down into more manageable sizes first - also I tend to use my Festool circular saw for my sheet work.

Micro adjuster - definitely worth it. It is standard on the TS 4010 and I wouldn't be without it.

Rocking on the sliding carriage? Should be solid as a rock - sounds like set-up problems.

Hi Jon
Just finished putting the final pieces on my new 2500CI this evening (gloat). I didn't have any access issues but the only part that takes any handling is the main saw section which I deboxed and moved into the garage on a sack truck. Just waiting for the missing riveing knife to be delivered and wire in a 16A supply.
Regards
Soapy

The TS2500 does come in separate boxes and should go through standard doors phone NMA to check It would be heavy to move the main body of the saw but the base is attached a during assembly. I think the FOX may come in one peace on a pallet but not 100% sure about that. It is similar to the Record table saw and that comes in 3 or 4 boxes and the tables are fixed during assembly making it very easy to transport through a house if necessary

Thank you all for your feedback. It seems that I may be worrying over nothing and should be able to get the saw from the driveway to the workshop with a little grunting and sweating but not too much trouble.

I’m still a little worried about the sloppy mitre slots on the demo saw I looked at and I note that someone has expressed the same worries over their TS2010 in this months GWW. It seems to me that all Scheppach need to do is put a little effort in to this area to improve their product massively. Especially as the non standard slots remove the aftermarket options.

Still happy to hear anymore comments, good and bad, about the TS2500.

Thanks, Jon

I've got the original, (not cast iron). I agree, mitre slots aren't perfect. (on the aluminimum version at least) However, the addition of sliding table, for me, removes the need for mitre slots at all. Thats due to my particular type of woodworking - I'd rather do the same process but using the sliding table any day, I find it safer, and that makes me more comfortable.

I think any machine in this price range does make a few comprimises, but the sliding table, power and smoothness of the machine I find excellent. I've never been limited by my tablesaw, its always my skills elsewhere holding me back which is a somewhat depressing, but nontheless reassuring, that I've bought the "right" machine.

Adam

Back