Deft table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoopy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

First post on the forum and I'm sorry it's a question:

I have been after a new table saw for ages and I would rather not spend any more than a thousand quid. I have come to the conclusion that the Deft machine is the man for me, but I seem to have some trouble getting on the Lyndhurst website. A quick credit check intimates that the company maybe in some trouble and I was wondering if anyone here has bought any gear off them recently?

Also, I understand that the Deft is the same machine as the Grizzly and, possibly, the Languna table saw. Is this correct and if so what are the implications of importing stuff from the States (single phase and 240 volts aside)?

Hell's teeth. Thanks guys and I'm sorry for anyone who lost money.

Not that I'm selfish at all; but what's the best sub-thousand pound machine about?

Have you looked at the SIP saw? Cheapest at Rutlands right now. I think the DEFT was a better saw but it's a good alternative. Don't discount buying 2nd hand. Still some bargains to be had on eBay.

Thanks for the advice Wizer. The SIP machine doesn't look like a bad tool for the money.

I ordered one from Rutland yesterday morning. I recieved an email off them a few minutes ago thanking me for the order and informing me the saw should be with me on or around the 5th of December.

A six week lead in time seemed excessive, so I cancelled the order and bought one from Scott and Sargeant (who keep them in stock) instead.

They actually managed to flog me an ex-display 01446 (the 12" version) at a shade over £800. Should be with me on Wednesday.

Cheers,

Ed.

Hi Ed,

Perfect choice. I have the 12" version and it is an excellent machine. At the time West Skelton Services were doing a special which included every accessory they do (rear extension table, sliding carriage, wheels etc) and free delivey. This was a couple of years ago when they were much cheaper then they are now.

Here's a review I did on the saw which may help you. The pictures are missing because the host company went bust or something, but if you want to see any of them I am sure I still have them on my old laptop.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... ble+review

Personally if I was you I would get a new mitre gauge, and ditch the crappy pipe that runs from the blade guard and get a bigger and better piece.

Good luck with your new toy. :D

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Nice review, and if you get a moment I wouldn't having a look at the piccies.

It'll be nice to be able finally get rid of my old Dewalt saw. It has a fence that, despite my best efforts, would try the patience of a saint.

As far as the pipe on the crown guard goes; this shouldn't be a problem as obviously all guards will have to be removed so I can fit my home made 6" stacked d*do cutter! :roll:

That last was a joke by the way.....before I get done.

Ed.

Hi Ed,

I will track them down on my old laptop and then try and find another host so that I can replace them in the review.

Does anyone know of a reliable host?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Ed,

Thanks very much I have just joined and I will upload them as soon as I can. I found all the photos, now I just have to work out which photo went where in the review because as per normal for me I took loads more then I needed.

Cheers

Mike

niki,

[type the folowing into a post:

[ url=http://google.com]google is a search engine [/url]

just no spaces

Hi Ed,

Re the pictures, sorry mate but I am having a big problem uploading them off my old laptop. When I go to upload them my computer shows a message that it is searching for them (and there is a browse button), then after a while it states that it cannot find them. Yet they are right there in front of me.

They WERE in a file called SIP Table Saw (but they have disappeared from this file), and they are also in a old program called Adobe Starter Edition 3.2 which is where I can see each of the photos. I tried uploading them from this program, but again it searches for them and cannot find them. If I press browse, a window appears in which you are supposed to be able to reconnect each photo to its file, but guess what that does not work either.

Anyone got an idea of how I can put the above right?

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

It isn't a huge problem, as hopefully I'll be able to see the saw in the flesh come Wednesday.

However, if you do want your pictures back, I am more than happy to help.

The simplest solution would be to highlight the relevant photos in the Adobe software (holding down the 'Ctrl' key while left clicking with the mouse allows multiple selection). When you have all the photos selected, right click on one of them and select copy (the topmost option on the right click menu)

Next, navigate to the SIP Table Saw directory through "My Computer" (probably in "My Pictures"?). When you find the directory, open it and select the 'Edit' menu at the top and click the 'Paste' option. The photos should now be place back in their orginal directory.

You should now be able to upload them to Photobucket. If you have any problems please let me know.

To admin and moderators, if I should be carrying out this discussion via PM or on another section of the forum, just say the word.

Cheers,

Ed.

Hoopy said:
I'll be able to see the saw in the flesh come Wednesday.

I got a phone call from Ed on Wednesday asking me to pop round to the workshop to help the courier unload the new table saw.
I duly obliged but as I turned the corner at the top of his drive I saw what looked like a big metal box with a pallet truck stuck to the side.
It seems the couriers impatience had got the better of her and she kindly flipped the table saw onto its front breaking the tilt adjustment & the emergency stop switch.
After dropping the saw she decided to have a cup of tea and wait for me to turn up.
"it's very heavy and the ground slopes away" she told me as I stood in Eddies yard which I would say covers more than two acres with it being an old farmyard. The only part of the yard with any real slope is the part where she decided to unload.
Anyway it's a very nice saw. Just a bit broken in places!
a>

Hammerrash":9g45hgeh said:

I'll upload the picture this time!

Hi Hammerrash and welcome to the forum. :)

Don't worry about the Spam Trap; it'll leave you alone and allow you to post images after a couple more posts.

Here is the image you were trying to display:

Thanks Olly,

I'll upload some pics of the workshop before & after the conversion.

Cheers

Neil

Back