Deck Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petiegolfer

Established Member
Reaction score
4326146018_678d10bbab.jpg

Im learning to do pics stay with me fulla's! :D

Nice toy, but loose the hat :roll: :wink:

Ok we are cooking with gas now!

Fri was spent breaking up concrete outside the old back door and getting the legers prepped. We got wood as well! :shock:

4325424263_b19ac380b5.jpg

4325543223_864d460fe7.jpg

The Kanga Kid a little belta! We probably did over 15 post holes and this bad boy did a meter deep hole in minutes! :D

4325540895_1901ae2184.jpg

4326282080_76d749bfce.jpg

Mark, is she your baby, shes lovely. Enjoy every day because once they are off to university it seems like a distant memory :cry:

TTK I stayed with Pete and Jen whilst doing the deck, my three month old nephew threw sleep deprivation into the mix over the four days I was with them. I have three not so littlies 9, 8, and 4...it took me back. Two boys and a little girl are great but im glad I cant have any more -snip-! :D I cant imagine going back to nappies and cutting teeth!! :shock:

On with the build!

What a shovholer! Yours truely with £15 shovholers from In-Excess really useful for cleaning up the postholes!

4326289030_65d7c53436.jpg

Please refrain from commenting about my attire :x sheeesh you guys are worse than the boys on the golf forum and the cycling forum put together!!! :D :D

Saturday had a couple of extra's join us, Imagineering going on/ :?: :?: :?:

4325561343_46c00eeb0d.jpg

4326293636_3607edbd9d.jpg

4326298878_9a0e6fd425.jpg

Imagineering paid off lower deck joists and supports going in. :idea: :idea:

4325568705_9c21e3c739.jpg

4325571899_5394869633.jpg

The neighbours hovering cat and "Jim Bob" not nice eating breakfast and seeing the cats third eye looking down on you!! [-X

4325565769_f8a69f57a4.jpg

I dont know you come up to do people a favour and they always want more :( A bit of fencing included.

4325574253_194be2aeb4.jpg

4326320240_d0bc6c526b.jpg

I insisted on hiring three tools for the weekend, a large breaker for the concrete, the Kanga Kid and a Paslode IM350. A breaker is a breaker and it did its job I have used one before on numerous ocasions. The other two I hadnt used before....all I can say is the Kanga Kid was an awesome peice of kit...if you are putting in a load of posts it is worth the money hireing one. We would have had a nightmare digging by hand as Pete's garden was pretty clayey!

The Paslode well all I can say is I want one. How easy!! :?: Im sure many of you guys have used one...for anyone who hasnt if you are building a shed (framing clading) anytihng where you are puting in aload of nails the money spent hiring one and on the nails is well worth it!

Monday morning...you can see the frost on the ground...great it meant that the mud was hard...unfortunately as the day went on it thawed out! :(

4325588343_4324fa52da.jpg

We had got the under joist supports in (decking boards going away from the house so supports running out from under the leger) and the outer joist ring in on the Sunday. We now new we werent going to finish.

The client threw me a hamock support googly on the Sat so when Jnr woke me up on Sat morning a two am the old brain figured out solutions to the request. As anyone who does this kind of thing you know things evolve as you go the way the two levels married together changed from my original cranium held design.

4325591791_7a3f65141c.jpg

We set up to joist out over the supports and within the "ring" I decided slightly wider than 400 centres to make it easier to get the paslode in for the noggins.

At it gang cutting noggins prior to joisting out.
4326340230_1f7117ff37.jpg

Each joist ran the full width of the conservatory from memory the noggins were 425mm giving centres of 475mm. Joist were individually cut to length to take into account variations over 5 plus meters. They were all within 10-15mm in the end which I was pretty pleased with!

We get to about joist 4 or 5 and we are comeing up to the first railing/hammock post....well Ill be blowed Pete spaced his end out first and we then had the moment of truth was the post down my end going to be in the way :?: :?: As I move the joist out just as it touches the post the noggin slips in...pipper me... what a fluke!! Things like this happen to me at least once a project, its a shame mishapps happen more often!!! :evil:

4326343106_464e1810a4.jpg

Great post keep em coming. :lol: Look forward to seeing the finished project. Oh, and I like the hat no matter what the others say. :wink:

Right sprogs are in bed so I will push on to where we are up to.

Joisting out the top deck took an hour, cutting noggins cutting long joists to size from 5.4m's and banging em in! Banging was the right word man the Paslode gun is noisey....but boy is it quick.

As you can see from the pic there are three under deck supports of doubled up 6x2 with 4inch posts going in 600mm plus into the ground every joist is attached to the "ring" each end with two coach / wood screws 100mm long they are the drive em in type. The ring obviously provides mechanical support aswell. Every joist is spiked into every support from each side...easy with da paslode, noggins are put in between the under joist supports again made easy with the nailgun.

4325613865_92d15a2757.jpg

It is here that we run out of pics for the time being.

We worked until 8pm on the Monday ie Monday a week ago and laid the decking boards on the lower deck we started on the garden end and worked back the house. We chewed up a lot of time faffing with the joists around the manhole cover and lost time during the day getting timber for the railings and extra posts for the railings aswell.

Decking was cut off to length using my Ts55 and a guide rail the guide rail was lined up by eye and one of the board spacers (4inch nail) shining a torch under the deck helped with this!

The decking screws frame fixings and coach screws all came from Rapier the frame fixings were 112mm and the legers were held off the walls by 9mm the white spacers. These are choped up capit board that I had left over from doing my soffits a facias a few months ago. The frame fixings were put in 2 every 400mm all of the 6x2 was pre drilled with 6mm holes and then the leger was leveled the frame fixings are the type that require no plug just a 6mm pilot hole...magic! \:D/

I found out about these whilst doing our windows with my wifes cousin (a window fitter) at the same time the we did the soffits and facias. They come in packs of 100 for about £12 or so.

Decking screws are the star drive ones and dont require pilot holes anywhere but really close to a board end...again I was impressed. Coach bolts were all 10mm zinc jobbies.

Timber was all from Snows of Andover bar some posts and the 4x2 which will make up the railings.

Railings are to be made using spindles from Deckorators a US outfit.

So still to finish is the railings laying the boards on the top deck sorting the hammock supports puting in the step between the decks and the one onto the grass. This should happen in the next couple of weeks and I will update.

At that time I will also post with a link to all of the suppliers etc and give you all an idea of cost of project.

Cheers

Piers

PS This is the 4th deck I have done I will post the first deck which was at my old place in a bit...landscaping was required in a major way again it was out from a new conservatory.

Yep its the KGS 305.

Ive been pleased with it. I have had it for 3years or so and it is still on the original blade. It gets used for everything but really fine work and I have throwen plastic ali and wood through it.

A new blade may see it do fine work better but that not really what I use it for. I have loads of construction stuff to do in the house and this deals easily with big bits of timber...thats what I brought it for really.

A 315mm blade will cut 335x106...Ive had sleepers on it in the past and it has the grunt to do that kind of work!

I live in Southampton and Metabo UK is based here which helped influence buying it...any probs and I could just sling it in the car and get it sorted...not that Ive had any mind!

All in all a solid dependable machine...but consider what you might use it for.

Piers

Thanks for the heads-up on that one

I need one fore heavy construction, but also for fine woodworking, so need the accuracy of the pre-settings,

I am upgrading from the EB KGS300 and looking at the bosch SCMS 12SD and this METABO saw

Back