Decent rust-hunting?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger

Established Member
Reaction score
I went into The Old Tool Shop in Wallington today, after a pigsticker. Then Mick offered me a box of old stuff, which I of course leapt at. Plus the Record Vice...

Haul-1.jpg

That's a Record 071 (only 1 cutter, lacks depth gauge), 080 scraper (needs blade), Pemuvar P44 - needs some bits, should work OK. Plus other bits and pieces I can use for marking knife blades, small carving chisels and so on.

£15 and £4 for the 1956 Thomas Turton WD pigsticker. And £35 for the 52 1/2.

I reckon that's alright.

But - what the heck is this?
Haul-2.jpg

Loads of stuff in at the moment, Paul. He tried to sell me a nice Marples swan-neck, there's a horned wooden scrub, lots of beater planes and many, many chisels.

I've also sussed out the opening hours - he's there all day on Saturdays and Wednesday evenings until 7. I've also got his phone number if you want it.

You also ought to try a stallholder called Alan who goes (irregularly, unfortunately) to Wimbledon dog-track boot sales on Saturday mornings.

The fence looks like it could be used on any plane with side walls. You may want to keep it, as it may come in handy some day.

JesseM":2utxraci said:
The fence looks like it could be used on any plane with side walls.
It is meant to hook in the side cheek of the rebate plane, I don't think it will clamp on a standard bench plane and if it did cannot see a use for it.

DaveL":1cfqddsd said:
JesseM":1cfqddsd said:
The fence looks like it could be used on any plane with side walls.
It is meant to hook in the side cheek of the rebate plane, I don't think it will clamp on a standard bench plane and if it did cannot see a use for it.
I was thinking if it could have attached to the side wall that you could turn any bench plane into a rebate, or even add a wood fence of a particular angle for chamfers. But you are probably right about it not fitting.

Benchwayze":1wahrygv said:
Smudger":1wahrygv said:
I went into The Old Tool Shop in Wallington today, after a pigsticker. Then Mick offered me a box of old stuff, which I of course leapt at. Plus the Record Vice...

Haul-1.jpg

That's a Record 071 (only 1 cutter, lacks depth gauge), 080 scraper (needs blade), Pemuvar P44 - needs some bits, should work OK. Plus
other bits and pieces I can use for marking knife blades, small carving chisels and so on.

£15 and £4 for the 1956 Thomas Turton WD pigsticker. And £35 for the 52 1/2.

I reckon that's alright.

But - what the heck is this?
Haul-2.jpg

Smudger,
I think it is the fence off a 'Paramo' bench plane. (1970's) It was like a Carriage-makers rebate plane and was one of those 'disposable blade' planes. The one I had did have a fence with it and that sure looks familiar. . A 'fence' finally got it, 'cos I had it nicked from my shop! I think Chris got there before me and identified this. I don't think it's the one I had nicked, unless they used the M1 as a getaway route!

John

Ah, now that would be different...

That's one plane I've actually decided not to buy. I just don't think I would ever use it.

(What am I saying????)

Back