Dakota tools from Rutlands - are they any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the Rutlands pen mandrel with the 7mm bushings and it as been fine so far for what i have made,though i have bought the replacement bushings from Axminster when i've ordered from them.

Dakota is usually the stamp of very poor quality. Every Dakota branded product I've ever bought has broken or been unfit for use. That said, this tool might be ok... BUT you can get just as good, if not better elsewhere for the same but probably less.

So in short. I'd not bother.

I would personally shop around a bit and go for one of the branded versions from Hamlet, Crown, sorby etc. maybe a £ dearer but better quality.

Although a Roughing Gouge seems to be a starter tool for working on spindles if you have a reasonable sized and stout Bowl gouge that will do for knocking the corners and rough bits off ready for the spindle gouge, my roughing gouge sits in the rack for weeks at a time.

I've used the Performs and they are ok. They come in cheaper than the Dakotas and my gut feeling (based on every other Dakota product) is that the Performs will be better.

thedonutman":3gj85myj said:
What about the "Peform" stuff from Axminster?

Nothing wrong with the steel in them, OK until you learn enough about tool use to know what you want different.

The Bowl Gouge is not the easiest shape to use as supplied, but it works, mine are still in use after some 4 yrs albeit in differing grind configurations now.

studders":1u5geo69 said:
CHJ":1u5geo69 said:
studders":1u5geo69 said:
Buy them as seperates for £56.95 or buy the set for £60.50 ???

How does that work then? :?
Box?

Yep, I just sussed that. :oops:

Mind you, given that you are 'bulk buying' of a sort you'd think they would throw the box in fer nowt; they do on many other sets.

Back