Daft debate...... Trifle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8squared

Established Member
Reaction score
A trifle is of course jelly, custard and cream.

But sometimes there are other things in the jelly that just shouldn't be there... Fruit chunks/ strawberries.

Just today I got a large trifle (admittedly all for myself) so I made sure that it was of the variety I like... At least according to the label.

Imagine my disgust when I dug my spoon in and placed the expected pleasure in my mouth only to find myself contorting my face squeezing my neck muscles as I bite into very sour baby strawberries... Totally and utterly ruins the whole thing, if I could I would of returned it for a refund.

What's your view on a good trifle?

Got to have sponge fingers in for me no fruit except maybe on top as a garnish

Actually a friend years ago made a lovely pineapple, McVities ginger cake, custard, whipped cream and crumbled flake trifle. Not very trad but seriously delicious

8squared":1c0bv1ng said:
I made sure that it was of the variety I like... At least according to the label.
if I could I would of returned it for a refund.

I don't think there's any such thing as a "good trifle", but if the strawberries weren't declared on the label you have every right to return it for a refund. Presuming you didn't eat the whole thing anyway!

(Some people have a serious allergic reaction to strawberries, so even though they aren't one of the 14 FIC allergens, it's still amazingly poor form for a food company to not include them on the label.)

Trifle, An excellent subject! I thought there was Trifle, and fruit trifle, two different things,(almost)
A fruity Trifle is best, but not the canned fruit variety you may well have ended up with.
Regards Ridders

can't abide sponge in trifle, just about anything else in there, but no cake please!
All milk puddings should be eaten cold!

I'm a trifle confused here because no one has mentioned hundreds and thousands or sherry

Traditional recipes for trifle seem to include jam, which I find a bit weird. Certainly it is included in a Mary Berry book.

Perhaps it works - perhaps somebody can confirm.

Chocolate trifle.........thats just wrong! has to be sherry, sponge fingers, raspberry, custard or blancmonge, piped cream. Never sour strawbs!

I know it's not Trifle, and slightly off topic but I once worked with a guy (JCB driver) who used to have a plate of Kippers with Custard every friday morning in the cafe.

It totally put me off my fry -up.

Back