cutting green softwood with a jigsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitch pine

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experiece of cutting green softwood (I have Sitka Spruce, Larch and Douglas Fir) 2" thick with a jigsaw? I am thinking of making some signs with large (10 feet long and up to 20" wide) waney edge boards and wondered if I could cut the letters out rather than routing. I know a 2" cut in dry timber is hard going, but maybe green softwood is possible. The finish isn't that crucial as the letters will be big and the timber will be left to weather naturally. Any thoughts on this?

Should be o/k it you have a good jigsaw/blade, green wood cuts much easer than dry.

Pete

I have a Makita its very good with a Bosch or Makita blade, don't buy cheap blades! something with big teeth to clear the sawdust and thin enough to cut the curves or swap blades for the curves.

Pete

I cut this with a Bosch GST and a t119bo blade. The log was chainsawed in half and hand planned. I found that the blade wasn't quite long enough to go the whole way through, but it was easy enough to finish with gouges and chisels. If your letters are larger you could use a thicker longer blade.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 61
Thanks for the blade recommendations.

Charver that is similar to what I have in mind, with a wider board. Nice bit of exercise hand planning that half log...

It's easy when it's green.

By the way I'd suggest scoring around your letters before you cut them, otherwise your outlines might be a bit fuzzy.

Back