cutting 150mm x 29mm Diameter lengths

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maverick54

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I need to turn 6 pieces of wood 150mm long x 29mm in diameter.

Do I need a tool rest with fixed cutter to slide along the bed in order to get an even diameter along the length or is there another way of doing it?

Thanks

If you hold a gouge or skew at a given angle and just traverse it sideways, it will cut a straight line. All you have to do is to get the angle right so you produce a cylinder and not a cone
You could do this with either a gouge or skew but a skew would leave a better finish

Hi

The quick answer is no - you don't need any 'special' equipment - however you would appear to be fairly new to woodturning and as such I would suggest you do some net based research into spindle turning, plenty of info available and you will be able to relate it to whatever equipment you have.

Regards Mick

Cut a number of grooves, with a parting tool, down to 29mm and then join them up with a skew or spindle gouge and then sand with wide piece of abrasive.

Bill

YewTube":1les3q77 said:
Cut a number of grooves, with a parting tool, down to 29mm and then join them up with a skew or spindle gouge and then sand with wide piece of abrasive.

Bill

Thanks Bill. That makes sense.

Back