CU's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Prior to any new equipment going into the 'shop later, I'll need to replace the Consumer Unit. I've just got hold of the Screwfix catalogue and was thinking about the 8 way Wylex unit £51.08 (or similar) on page 297, which can then be fitted with type B and C breakers as appropriate.
I'll need a couple of 'B's for the ring main and lighting circuit, with a 'C' type 16A for the table saw and bandsaw, which ought to leave me with a couple of 'ways' left over for contingencies.
Thoughts appreciated if you have the book of words and could have a delve? - Rob

MickCheese":2i8915jh said:
Wizer was trying to sell an MK consumer unit a few weeks ago.

He may still have it?

Mick

I think it's acouple of years old from memory (maybe more), which means it won't be the 17th edition version Rob will require to comply with current regs and get his part "p" cert.

Always assuming Rob, that you're going to do it "properly" :wink:

Is this just for the workshop, though, as if so the double rcd stuff which comes with a "17th Edn" CU is irrelevant.

Jake":19rzox19 said:
Is this just for the workshop, though, as if so the double rcd stuff which comes with a "17th Edn" CU is irrelevant.
Yup, just for the 'shop. The existing CU is a 4 way Volex with no extra capacity for type 'C' breakers. Bob 9fingers (currently sunning himself in Cyprus) advised a larger unit with a couple of extra 'ways' for spare...just in case :wink: - Rob

Yes what a darn shame. I had that MK CU knocking about here for years, with a plethora of breakers, and just last week took a silly loss on it via ebay. I'd have given it to you.

WoodAddict":3ew6nyzk said:
Jake":3ew6nyzk said:

If the workshop is on the ground floor then the sockets should have RCD protection.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean that a '17th Edn' CU is anything but a waste of money and space.

Jake":xuui4txp said:
WoodAddict":xuui4txp said:
Jake":xuui4txp said:

If the workshop is on the ground floor then the sockets should have RCD protection.

Agreed, but your point is?

I was agreeing, my last post doesn't read right. :?

What I was trying to say was that the sockets having RCD protection is the only thing you need to think about with regards to the CU and 17th Ed, so you don't need a split board.

Sorry shouldn't have been quite so grumpy. I was editing it to something very slightly less grumpy while you were posting.

Rob, I fitted a wickes brand CU in my shop. Its a rebadged Clipsal. plenty of room, Clipsal C curve breakers included, no problems experienced thus far - and its over half the price of a wylex.

vinny

RogerS":3e0vvjb2 said:
Rob..I've got a couple of new CUs somewhere. Not sure of the ways but can have a delve around and you can have either for the cost of postage

Appreciated Rog...could you have an investigation and let me know what they are?

Vinny, saw the Wickes's CU's yesterday in town, but no Type 'C' breakers were available (or at least I couldn't see any on the pegs) - Rob

I have a 8 way wylex fitted in my shop i think i paid £65 with mcb's i got 2 type c's and the rest were type b's it complies with 17th edt reg's it is a good solid cu.
I have have three socket rings 2x wall and 1x roof sockets then i have two lighting circuits 2 tubes on 1 rcd and the other 2 on the other rcd 4 tubes in total just in case you trip the one rcd you dont go into complete darkness .
I have 2x 16 amp commando plugs on individual mcbs these are not being used but again better to have them than not.

Rob, I checked but don't think they're going to be of any use to you.

One is a Starbreaker - two circuits for power and lights

The other is a new Wylex 5 way but does not have an RCD.

Sorry, mate

Roger

RogerS":26ppqjc1 said:
Rob, I checked but don't think they're going to be of any use to you.

One is a Starbreaker - two circuits for power and lights

The other is a new Wylex 5 way but does not have an RCD.

Sorry, mate

Roger
Rog...many thanks for the delve anyway. Appreciated - Rob

What I was trying to say was that the sockets having RCD protection is the only thing you need to think about with regards to the CU and 17th Ed, so you don't need a split board.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but surely a split board is essential in a workshop in order to make sure the lighting stays on when something on the power circuit trips the system. An arguable point perhaps but with so many power tools around, the rcd is even more likely to trip in a workshop than in a house and natural lighting is never in abundance in a 'shop.

Rob

Latest posts

Back