Cube Based Storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvt74

Reaction score
I'm looking at storage solutions for in the corner of our lounge. We have a wall thats around 2.8m long and i'm looking for something around 2.2m in length and around 70-80cm high

The plan is to use cube style storage and have a selection of open "cubes" and then some with doors where i can hide things like the server/networky stuff and cables. Then on top i'll have my stereo with speakers either side. Not ideal placement for the speakers but it'll do till i build my summerhouse.

My initial plan was to buy into the Ikea Kallax cupboards as they give me everything i need and then finish it with a wooden top and downstand like this. However we decided that sticking a few of these side by side wouldn't give a great look.

V1tIMta.png

This lead me to thinking i'd build something. I like chunky furniture so the plan is to use 18mm Plywood/MDF to build it out to double thickness.

For the base i'm thinking of having one full length piece and then when doubling up, using 35cm pieces for the internals of the "cube" which would recess the internal uprights to help provide support.

I'd curious the best method for building the rest up. I presume with MDF i can't really use screws as it's not got the strength so i'd be relying on glue. For the uprights, perhaps i could use 18mm MDF and then frame it either side with 6mm MDF, that would give a total thickness of 30mm and the 6mm would then work to support the horizontal lengths. Would this make it sturdy enough? Also with using so many pieces would it all sand back enough to give a good smooth finish once primed and painted?

Having made various MDF built-ins, I think screws would be better than glue, if joining an edge to a face. My usual method is to rebate a shallow slot - eg just 3mm or something - to locate the shelf/whatever in and then use pocket hole screws to fix it. Seems to work well for me. And/or just use regular screws through faces that you won't see.

Should then sand and finish well but you'll need to fill the edges - I use lightweight filler (eg onefill) to smooth them over. You can use the same to fill the pocket holes.

Latest posts

Back