Creusen Grinder - good enough?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyS

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Creusen 6" grinder with a 20mmx80grit grey stone and 40mmx100grit white stone. As a hobbyist, will this be OK to get the primary bevel on chisels and plane blades, or will I need different stones or even to bite the bullet and get something bigger/better??

All advice welcomed! - Roy

It's fine for primary bevels - you just need to avoid overheating the steel and drawing the temper. Be patient and don't let the tool get hotter than you can bear to touch.

I know this is not entirely relevant to the original question, but I am about to return a second 8" "Professional" Creusen grinder to Axminster.

The crucial washers which clamp the stones, adjacent to the bearings, are fantastically badly machined. Some surfaces show no sign of machining at all.......

This is causing lateral wobble and significant vibration.

Talk about "spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar"!

David, (very pineappled off indeed)

Last week I unwrapped a new Tormek T-7, it took from August to January to decide for what to go, the Sorby belt sander, the Creusen double grinder with "cold" stones or the Tormek with the turner's accessory kit. It was not easy as much money was involved. I'm highly satisfied, the machine is well thought out, from packing to the two dvds over french fitted jigs. Til then I used an Elektra Beckum grinder with one 6" stone and one 8" watercooled stone. I did all coarse work on it from regrinding a camber on plane blades to axes. The turning tools turned out to reveal acceptable but I thought losing the original geometry and did not even think of reshaping turning tools.

So, seen from my shed a double grinder is a good starter, another machine will follow some day :D

Back