Cost of scary sharp method long term ? - sharpening again!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And there are other options worth considering. Here are two that I use, both of which avoid the use of a grinder at all.

With a three-stone set-up like this

view
[/url][/img]

and set-up blocks like these

e9fe4f8f.jpg

it's very quick to give the primary bevel a few strokes on the coarse stone, then change the angle and switch to the fine and extra fine stones to hone the edge, finishing with the strop.

The other method I use is basically the same but just use one bevel. People say this takes longer but I find that a few strokes on the coarse stone, then the fine and extra fine stones has the job done quickly.

Given that I don't use water stones so don't have to spend time flattening them, and don't use a grinder so don't spend time setting up that, I reckon my method is probably as quick as anyone's. And I don't burn my blades :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

No idea whether my grinder is high speed or not - how do you tell? :) Its a wee green thing that looks like it came of the ark. Thats a bit like saying "red" when someone asks you what sort of car you saw though. I do however have a dressing widget for the wheels. Again no idea what the wheels are, I think they're fairly coarse. I'm off to the workshop shortly I may return with a picture or more details. My other option would be to buy a coarser water stone for grinding but I'm loath to throw more money at sharpening until I find the "one true way" (ie the one that works for me) ;)

Cheers Mike

mr":36tqbr7x said:
No idea whether my grinder is high speed or not - how do you tell? :)

It should be printed on a plate showing voltage, speed, etc. A water-cooled grinder like the Tormek runs at a couple of hundred RPM whereas a high-speed dry grinder runs at probably a couple of thousand.

Paul

Ahh well there you go then it's a 1/2 HP Hilka 3000RPM - so a high speed grinder then. It appears to have two identical wheels which is better than no wheels I guess. I might have a tidy up (get rid of the flammable stuff) and have a go at reshaping the blade for my wee block plane, which is currently a very odd shape, at some point.
Cheers Mike

Mike,

If you have a wheel dresser, dress the wheels first, as Alf suggested - it will ensure that they are running true, cut faster and run cooler.

Good luck.

Paul

Back