Cost of Birch Ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol_Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
I was Quoted over £400 to get 4 sheets of 18mm Birch Ply delivered today. :eek:

Tell me I'm not going as crazy as that price?

Anyone have a supplier that can get those into sensible land? (Location: Bristol)

Or do I simply park my plans until stock levels and prices return to planet earth?

According to several vids on YouTube, this lunacy has been initiated by the sawmills. The timber growers are getting what they always have but the mills are the ones converting trees into usable timber. They appear to be holding the trump cards. Cartel is a word that springs to mind. The vids also predict a drop in the prices soon. I sincerely hope so.

that price sounds about right, postage is going to be expensive on it, the stuff is very heavy.

I'm considering Q Mark ply.
Does anyone have any experience of this ply and its benefits or cons compared with B&Q hardwood ply? Which I've previously used.

B&Q's top veneer is extremely thin!

I use Timbmet at Stonehouse ( 01453 826886 ). Phone them directly, ie, don't use their central quoting system.
Brian

Just to add that was for BB birch, the highest grade they have.

Attachments

• 20210430_183836.jpg
    20210430_183836.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 75
As you are in Bristol, have you tried Sydenhams (used to be called Avon Ply)? I haven’t used them in a while so don’t know what their current prices are like.

I was Quoted over £400 to get 4 sheets of 18mm Birch Ply delivered today. :eek:

Tell me I'm not going as crazy as that price?

Anyone have a supplier that can get those into sensible land? (Location: Bristol)

Or do I simply park my plans until stock levels and prices return to planet earth?

Wow was that from Avon Ply? I bloody hope not, being another Bristolian. As far as "prices coming back to earth...." I don't think they ever will, because people are still paying these inflated prices, which must be above what the actual costs are rising to; I mean, if I was a company supplying goods, global price rises is always a good excuse to add a few extra pounds on top - why would you then drop it back after?

I think £100 a sheet might be "the new normal" for birch ply now. *gulp*.

Edit - Ooh Arnold Lavers and at better price.

Last edited:
Wow was that from Avon Ply? I bloody hope not, being another Bristolian. As far as "prices coming back to earth...." I don't think they ever will, because people are still paying these inflated prices, which must be above what the actual costs are rising to; I mean, if I was a company supplying goods, global price rises is always a good excuse to add a few extra pounds on top - why would you then drop it back after?

I think £100 a sheet might be "the new normal" for birch ply now. *gulp*.

Edit - Ooh Arnold Lavers and at better price.
It was a quote from robbins timber 🤫

Based in Ireland here, I use 12mm birch ply. Before Xmas a single sheet was €57, a month back it was €64 and a sheet I got yesterday; €70. All from the same local supplier.

Based in Ireland here, I use 12mm birch ply. Before Xmas a single sheet was €57, a month back it was €64 and a sheet I got yesterday; €70. All from the same local supplier.
Ouch, certainly appears to show the story we are all seeing 🙁

Back