Copy of the Record 311

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Just perusing the latest paper from Axminster Tools and noticed that they are making a copy of the Record 311.

Noted in another thread that some of you guys were after this type of shoulder plane.

Dont know what the quality is like but not a bad price £69.95

Have a look at http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod821718/

I hope I dont upset anyone by applying the link like this.

Rog

Dodge":je1eykd7 said:
Just perusing the latest paper from Axminster Tools and noticed that they are making a copy of the Record 311.

Noted in another thread that some of you guys were after this type of shoulder plane.

Dont know what the quality is like but not a bad price £69.95

Have a look at http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod821718/

I hope I dont upset anyone by applying the link like this.

Rog

I wonder if it's Groz, Quashang or a mysterious newcomer?

BugBear

Dont know what the quality is like either but to be honest when I opened that link and seen the first two pics I wasnt very impressed, it looks a little ermm........grubby and not terribly well machined/finished.

Just the impression I got from the pics, like I said, I dont own one, maybe they are great.

Yes, I was wondering about that. I would have thought you'd usually pick out the one that looked the best for the catalogue photograph - in which case that bodes a bit. :-k What we need is someone with £70 to buy one and tell us all about it. (I'm not volunteering)

Hello everyone,

I'm on the case. I'll report back tomorrow with some more information. If anyone has questions please feel free to post them up and i'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks

Rich.

Hello everyone,

I've been reading this forum for quite a while now and as I happen to have bought this plane a while ago I felt it was time to join.
Axminster already had this plane on their website some months ago but only for a short tme.
For half the price, though the screws haven't been brass then.

It looks exactly as on the photo. The finish of the show-faces isn't even remotely like the clifton.
The business-faces on the other hand are quite finely ground, true and square.
The bedding of the iron is precisely machined as is the iron itself though the bevel was a bit course.
It worked fine in all configurations after sharpening the iron. At this point I have to say that I'm a beginner hobbyist in woodworking.
It is about the quality I would expect from a quangcheng.
It seems not to be one though, but I can't remember the name on the box.
It came packed in oil paper in a card board box.

minor grumbles:

The iron is about 0.5 mm wider than the plane body. I would have preferred to be just as wide as the body.
The depth adjustment is a bit on course side but still ok.

At least for those who do not live in the UK and therefore can't get a used record quite so easily I find this plane a very good option.

cheers
Thorsten

unra159":32nzisp3 said:
The iron is about 0.5 mm wider than the plane body. I would have preferred to be just as wide as the body.

On most shoulder planes the blade is deliberately made fractionally wider than the body. However, it should be possible to adjust the blade so that it sits flush with the side of the plane.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Welcome Thorsten and congratulations on a great first post. Much better than mine. ("What the hell's the matter with my bandsaw?" Etc.)

It sounds like a good old fashioned working plane for the price. DIY polished faces - if you want - as well as DIY truing blade width flush. As Paul says they're often a fraction wide, much better than being too narrow.

Alf":3grxmgv4 said:
What we need is someone with £70 to buy one and tell us all about it. (I'm not volunteering)

:D I put an order in on Thursday night for one ( out of stock at the moment :? )

I'll let everyone know what it's like when it arrives, chap at work has the equivalent Clifton so I should be able to do a bit of a side by side comparison

I bought one of these new boxed under the Soba Precision Tools brand. The chap I got if from said they were from the Czech Republic but I can't confirm. But for the £35 I paid its very good value. The casting might not be the best I have seen but the machining of the working surfaces is excellent. Nice thick blade like the Clifton which seems to take a very good edge. A good working tool I think.

According to the most recent Axminster flyer to drop through my door, They (Axminster) are buying these planes in and doing the grinding and polishing in their own workshop.

Hatherton_wood":33vnfm2t said:
I bought one of these new boxed under the Soba Precision Tools brand. The chap I got if from said they were from the Czech Republic but I can't confirm. But for the £35 I paid its very good value.

Hmm. Half the Axminster price, which is already cheap for #311-a-like.

I'd call that a gloat!

Edit; some googling reveals "not a lot" on Soba, but what I can find shows their other tools to be more of the light engineering persuasion, so it strikes me that Soba is akin to Groz.

Ah - international spelling is an issue:

http://www.shobha-india.com/about-us.html

BugBear

30 £ was the Axminster price I bought it for.
As mentioned before, it disappeared from their web site after a short while to reemerge recently for double the price.

I've been to the UK on Saturday and visited Axminster in Sittingborne.
They didn't have the 311-copy on display but a lot of their other planes were packed in SOBA boxes.
This included the new Axi 92 and 90 and a block plane.

Thorsten

I find the concept of a combination plane like this rather interesting and to help avoid the 'slope' I'm trying to question its validity. So, what advantage has a bull nose over a chisel plane that the standard plane will not do?

Regards

Eoin

eoinsgaff":3txeb9st said:
I find the concept of a combination plane like this rather interesting and to help avoid the 'slope' I'm trying to question its validity. So, what advantage has a bull nose over a chisel plane that the standard plane will not do?

Regards

Eoin

3 in 1 planes are comparatively small in size and you can trim-in or produce stopped rebates more easily with the nosing removed. Add the bullnose and you can safely plane into areas where a pilot hole has been drilled as a stop, e.g. stopped housings with the advantage of a marginally longer sole and add the longer section for user comfort when planing tenon cheeks with improved plane alignment/accuracy of cut.

The bullnose doesn't dig into the work surface, whereas a chisel plane can be prone to this problem due to the lack of nosing ahead of the blade and needs to be used with more care.

Interesting - looks like its Indian in origin rather than Czech then. Axminster won't need to do much in the way of finishing if mine is anything to go by.

Ah, of course Gazpal. I see now. So the bullnose lets you into corners with just enough sole in front of the blade to prevent it diving into the wood.

It all makes sense now...

Latest posts

Back