Contact Adhesive for Kids Bedroom

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcndave

Established Member
Reaction score
Planning to create 3m x 1m pin boards with cork and plywood substrate, and planning to use this to bond them.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/661 ... hesive.pdf

It is water based, however on the label it says it may cause damage through prolonged exposure... something not written on the technical data sheet.

As they are going to be right next to 2 kids beds, I want to be really sure...

It has greenguard for children and schools, however that's for building materials, not to put 10" from their place of sleep... any thoughts?

Once the solvent has evaporated it'll be totally safe.

The prolonged exposure warning is for if a person is working with it every day.

I'd have thought plain white pva would do the job.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Paint on one layer of PVA on the cork, let it soak it up and dry and then put another layer on and stick it together. But as MatthewRedStars said, it is the solvent that prolonged exposure to is an issue. Once the smell is gone, then the volatility is also gone.

Unless they lick it.

wcndave":301cj05d said:
White PVA might do it, however it soaks in so much, and the cork is only 3mm.
Ok, I can see why you're a little cautious then. A few years ago I fitted a kitchen and had to use contact adhesive for the edges/ends. Even though the shop sold waterbased contact adhesive, they really didn't want to sell me it cause they said it was garbage. Perhaps a trial run with pva and a small 4 inch paint roller (so it's thin and even) or let the contact adhesive lose its smell for a few weeks before placing in the room.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

If you are worried about using contact adhesive why not try fish glue. You could drink the stuff and come to no harm :-( It is made from boiling fish skins and shares many of the properties of hide glue except you use it cold. It has a long open time giving plenty of time to align the tiles and wash off any squeeze out.
https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_S ... 3mEALw_wcB

Back