Constructional Veneers Suppliers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone can recommend me a supplier

I've gotten back to my Love Chair project now a few house projects are out of the way.

But I'm struggling to find anyone who can supply me with constructional veneers..

I need London Plane, cut to 1 or 2mm thickness 120cm long by 30 or 40cm wide.

I only have small machines so cannot make them myself.

Anyone know of a supplier for the above

Much appreciated

As far as I know most "constructional" veneers, i.e. those used in laminations, are lower-cost veneers such as ash, white or steamed beech, mahogany. For those I'd recommend Reiff Veneers in Altrincham who do thick cut veneers up to 3m thick. They also do Lacewood Plane, although only in standard thickness (0.5 to 0.7mm or so). The curved part is often made up using structural veneers "inside" a pair of surface veneers of the appropriate show veneer. If the top and bottom edges are on show then this is probably best veneered afterwards. As to size veneers are sold in leafs which are random sized, rather like the trees they come from

Hmm that seems to be also the answer from the veneer dealers I have spoken too,

Maybe I need to buy a 6" extension for my bandsaw, -
i.e: http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708717-JRB-14-6-Inch-Riser/dp/B0000223N9

Has anyone got any experience in extending the bandsaw with these products - do they really work?

Then I can get the local wood yard to plane me some 30cm London Plane then I can cut it to 4mm with the bandsaw then thickness it to 2mm on a supporting board, then thickness the plant again and repeat the process.

AndyBoyd":pksupx6u said:
Hmm that seems to be also the answer from the veneer dealers I have spoken too
Quite logical really, Andy. Lacewood veneer costs a lot more than beech so it would make sense to laminate up from something like beech with a lacewood top veneer. At the end of the day the edges will always look like a laminated edges no matter what you use. If you veneer or lip the visible edge(s) in lacewood before veneering the sides with lacewood what does it matter what is inside of the piece? So long as you aren't going to cut recesses into it no one will ever know. If on the other hand you are going to cut recesses out of it then you'll always see the glue lines because you are fundamentally cutting into plywood.....

AndyBoyd":pksupx6u said:
Then I can get the local wood yard to plane me some 30cm London Plane then I can cut it to 4mm with the bandsaw then thickness it to 2mm on a supporting board, then thickness the plant again and repeat the process.
Ever try thicknessing to 2mm on your thicknesser? Expect to destroy at least some of your stock in the process. Suggest that you try the process with some cheapish timber first

Latest posts

Back