Computer troubles - video playback problems. Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard T

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon,

In the last couple of days my computer has started being unable to playback the video content of files.

For example: it all started on Windows Media Player, which will play the audio content of the file, but without showing any picture moving or otherwise.

However, it is not just a WMP problem - this is also happening with DivX player, Power DVD, and Windows Movie Maker. Videos in YouTube will play, as will MPEG-4 files through QuickTime/iTunes.

I don't think it's codecs - I have downloaded and installed up to date codecs packs.

The trouble began (we think) when we installed a new game - but what could it have done, what settings could it have changed to have messed up video playback so royally?

Any help from techie types very gratefully received.

Thanks.

What version of windows are we talking about?

I had similar nightmares with my media centre PC with Vista. Tried lots of 'tools' to find out why certain video files stopped playing without success. In the end did a clean install of windows 7 on it. Everything just works and no codecs needed at all.

Thanks Deepblue, we tried that and it worked - then didn't. We're now downloading the newer version of Direct X .

Robert; it's XP. It's all been fine for years; it's definitly something this game has fiddled with...

Updating Direct X didn't work either... I'm stuck. Any more ideas?

(What was weirdest was that the VLC Media Player played a movie file perfectly after it was installed. I cheered and went downstairs to finish the dinner...came back up, blank screen with the same movie clip!)

Many thanks.

It may be worth uninstalling your media player then restart your computer then download your new media player either version 11 or 12 if its windows media player install & see what happens?

another option is to uninstall the game but before you do it may be worth popping to the website to see if their are any known conflicts just out of interest what game did you install?

Sorry, Sorry... But did you reboot between VLC working and not? Have you since?

Could be a video card (hardware) issue.

Major,
we did the reinstaling/reboot thing first. Uninstalling the game is the only obvious thing we haven't tried yet - (Nevereverleather er Neverwinter nights 2 -) as I am trapped in the north docks, surrounded by wizard thugs armed only with my sword of stupid and a potion of what the hell am I doing this for? I have much better things to be getting on with, |I'm 42 for God's sake. While the mem has just met her first dwarf and is, if anything, too excited.

Wizer - no we didn't; that's what really has me baffled. All we did in between was cook, and nothing fancy either. Burgers really shouldn't have affected the IT dpt.

Trim - we will try this and anything else after Erinbed has become Eroutofbed and the other side of a cup of coffee.

Many thanks for all the help thus far. It's amazing what one can achieve in woodwork.

Problem solved - we uninstalled the game. Everything back to normal.
I can only think it was an oldish game that reset everything to suit itself... Oh well, I shouldn't be wasting so much time on dwarves and sitch.
Thanks for all the help and advice folks.

Latest posts

Back