Compound Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawkEye

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps, really easy question this for most..

I got 69x69mm lengths of timber I want to cut, but I want straight and easy cuts so fancy buying my first compound saw..

Bit of a silly question this but I see many sizes advertised as e.g. max depth 60 x 220mm max width.

I understand the width (as this is sliding), but will this saw cut the 69x69 or won't it????

no. it is more than the 60mm. The max depth is dependant on the blade size it takes.

Don't think so, the 60 in the spec refers to the maximum thickness that it will cut so to cut 69mm you would have to cut part way through turn the wood over then compleat the cut lining up the two cuts the best you can.

you probably need something with a 10" blade on it. I forget the max depth of cut, but it is around 3" I think.

Thanks chaps,

The problem I'm having is in finding a compound that will cut the 69s with sliding if possible for less than or around £100 as I'm pretty skint at the moment

Any suggestions? Or does flipping make satisfactory cuts in which case I can get a relatively cheap one at B&Q for about £50

Go on ebay and get a Dewalt Powershop.... There have been a fair few go for a song recently, I'd take one over a SCMS every time.

Jelly":620oj4cc said:
Go on ebay and get a Dewalt Powershop.... There have been a fair few go for a song recently, I'd take one over a SCMS every time.

Jelly, I would consider for the workshop but any ideas on a portable one? As I move around a fair bit at the moment

HawkEye":1j9vzzop said:
carlb40":1j9vzzop said:
This does 65mm

lidl-sliding-mitre-saw-t70004.html

Unless you regularly need to cut 200mm +? a normal mitre/chop saw will be ok. For your budget you struggle to get a sliding mitre saw.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-F4D21 ... il&id=1706

This looks fantastic for the price!!!!!!! And 5 year guarantee ... The only downside is I have to visit a LIDL :mrgreen:
3yr warranty. ;)

You could see if they have any of their power take off vacuums left as well :)

The little ones are easily portable without the leg kit fitted, (same kind of size as a "Site Saw" and easily liftable by one person, so long as you get a good grip)... Probably in the same ballpark as the bigger SCMS's but taller.

As to why I prefer them, you have a much greater cutting capacity, the adjustment system is very positive, and its easy to get at the blade to set up compound cuts (i never trust the gauges on machines, always set to a bevel taken off the workpiece or one of my wooden reference angles).
In terms of capacity it's a little better in terms of cut depth, but the real selling point for me is the increased cut width (14"/350mm on my diddy one) alows you to gang-cut lots of identical parts in a single operation.
The motors also tend to be both much quieter and to have rather more guts (up to 2.5hp on even the smallest saws).

Oh and of course they're cheaply available.

The downside is that they require periodic checking and minor adjustments to keep them as accurate as possible, thankfully done little and often its only a minute or two with a square.

Agree with the earlier advice, be VERY wary of cheap SCM saws, they don't cut accurately, Period! :cry:
I sold a Rexon on recently to someone who wanted it for site work where being 2 mil or so out was acceptable. Poor quality castings and cheap materials meant it would never be better than that..

I recently bought a Makita CMS, the £140 odd one from Wickes, better but still not spot on, needed a bit of fettling and resetting out of the box and an imminent upgrade is a better blade. But for some outdoor work Im doing now it's fine..

It's a lot more portable than an SCMS and I can get the wider cuts by flipping over the board and setting up my stops, as needed.

Cheers!

Back