Complete: My first band saw box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As said, go for it.
Not difficult at all, and quite rewarding. Take it easy when seperating the top though to ensure a nice straight cut.

Pics plz.

Neil

PeterBassett":2s7egslb said:
What a god awful presenter.......*shiver*
He was a bit... erm... brash? Can't fault his energy or enthusiasm though

Thanks for the advice, yes he scores very high on the fizzometer.

His other projects look pretty good as well.

Nice design. My only criticism would be his entry cut. He has gone in vertically from below. This cuts across the grain, so when he glues it up he is trying to glue end grain to end grain. It would be better to go in from the side (both stronger and less visible).
S

Just get stuck in and have a go. Wise words (as usual) from Steve about the entry cut, it is def easier to hide the cut if it runs along the grain.
Here are my first three boxes, all made from laminated scraps because I am a tightwad!

bbs.jpg

Just an update,

I have got my hands on some rough sawn oak, red meranti, cedar and American cherry.

I have made cuts on the basis that I will end up with a 4x4x4 cube when I have glued up.

You experts are probably used to this but I got great joy out of being able to plane\sand some wood to expose something that was in my opinion really beautiful.

Anyway, enough of the gushing. I did take some pictures of the work so far but I don't know how to compress them so they will upload.

I'll be back.

Mark

UTMonkey":1l2t11zv said:
You experts are probably used to this but I got great joy out of being able to plane\sand some wood to expose something that was in my opinion really beautiful.

I know exactly what you mean. It never ceases to amaze me what you can find "inside" a lump of seemingly ordinary timber when you peel back a couple of layers.

Keep us up to speed with your progress. :D

I offered to someone is chesterfield that if they wanted to use a router to cut some circles into some wood that there welcome to come use mine. I don't remember there username but only that they are in chesterfield. Sorry if it isn't you. Still if you want some Cherry and your my way....

Sussed the image compression thing.

Attachments

• IMG_2012110417281.jpg
    IMG_2012110417281.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_2012110410394.jpg
    IMG_2012110410394.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_2012110410986.jpg
    IMG_2012110410986.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 207
I remember reading that thread, not me I'm afraid though seeing an expert operate a router wouldn't go amiss lol.

Jolly nice offer for the cherry, I might come over and say hello again. I don't know if you remember but I unburdened you of a couple of worktops (one of which sits very well on my workbench).

All the best

Mark

Back