Competition 063/04 Jorden - Small Cabinet with a Bowfront

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
After a lot of thought, I've finally settled on something I want to build that conforms to the specifications of the competition, storage with a curve. I don't think that the curve was meant to be a round hole drilled in wood, or a rounded edge to a square box, so I've learned a little about steaming for this project. The origonal design for the steamer was simple, a piece of plastic soil pipe with a rag at each end and a wallpaper stripper providing steam.

steamer.JPG

Problem was, the pipe got a little hot and melted in the middle, so what started out as a 2 meter straight soil pipe, finished up as a 1 meter pipe with a funny shaped end.

The strips of oak and ash were cooked for 30 minutes then dropped straight into the bending jig 8 at a time, the jig closed, then my wife stood on top of the jig while I put the clamps on - teamwork :) The ash was no trouble at all and bent on the first try, but the first lot of oak broke 3 sets of sticks before I changed the peice of timber I was cutting the sticks from and was sucessful. I think the first oak I tried was too old and dry having come from a piece of dead furniture, whereas the second supply was from a virgin plank.

bendjig.JPG

The next picture shows the jig to hold the frames in place while I pair them up.

framejig.JPG

Can you see what it is yet?

Thought I'd post an update picture which shows more clearly what the finished cabinet will look like :)

carcasebuilt.jpg

The drawer fronts will match the carcase (having been cut from it). The top and base trim/feet will be in oak. Not decided on the finish yet.

Joining the oak rings to the ash ones was fun, it seems the oak retains the bend better than the ash, so a fair amount of fiddling/cussing/sweating took place while building the carcase. In the end a makeshift jig came to the rescue - the 3rd jig I've had to build just for this cabinet! :shock:

The drawer cabinet is finished, and was presented to Sarah, the wife who was literally speechless when she saw it :eek:

The cabinet is made from strips of 12mmx12mm oak and ash, steam bent (a first for me) in a home made steamer and made up into slices of the cabinet plan. The slices were then joined together, and the drawer fronts cut out. The internal drawer runners are made from redwood, and laminated on all faces which contact the drawer with high pressure laminate. The drawers have an MDF base, and 12mm plywood sides, the front edge of the drawer carcase comes from 4 layers of 1mm veneer laminated together (another first) to form the curve. The drawer box is lined in deep red felt, and veneered (yet another first) on the sides and back in cherry. The drawer front is edged in mahogany.

completed%20001.jpg

Front View.

completed%20002.jpg

Front view showing a drawer.

completed%20003.jpg

Side view showing rear.

Building this has been an adventure, and from it I learned a little about steam bending, laminating and veneering which added to the fun. I'll have to build another steamer now, the one I built for this job was based on plastic soil pipe, which melted :( . I had to make up 4 jigs to do various bits which added to the fun.
Hope you like it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back