CMT 1/2" router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivan

Established Member
Reaction score
Tempted by a sale price, we bought a 230v CMT "Elu/DeWalt lookalike" half inch router a couple of weeks ago. They, and the Trend version, are apparently made in the same factory in Italy, so one might assume, are all mechanically identical.

The new purchase was intended for permanent Woodrat use, to free up an older 115v DeWalt 625, which is about 6 or 7 years old. The old DeWalt has a run out 35mm from the collet of less than 0.001", and the replacement "Eliminator" quick change chuck/collet I use when Woodratting can be fitted at random, with the same result.

Two CMT routers we tried had unacceptable run out (up to 0.020")with both the supplied collet and the Eliminator chuck. The third managed an excellent 0.0015" with the manaufacturer's collet, but again over 20 thou with the allen key operated Eliminator chuck. The supplier was very helpful with exchanges and the final refund. A new DeWalt 625 arrived a couple of days ago, while not quite as accurately made its' older brother, is acceptable.

Observations:
1/The excellent accurate Elu designed depth setting arrangement is quite ruined on both makes by a redesigned adjustable zero pointer (the optically clear plastic bit) with a scale obscuring red mark 1mm thick. This must have saved all of a penny. Controlling plunge to 1/4mm or better is reduced to 2mm if you're lucky.
2/They may all be made in the same factory, but to what tolerances....?

Thanks Ivan :D :D
I need a replacement for my Elu 177e which is 20 years old and still going strong, but for how long. :?
I had considered the CMT but have now ruled it out but , I had also read somewhere that Dewalt were going to cease production of routers, might buy one of these if I can find one cheap enough.

Allan

The big Trend models are also made in the same factory. After the CMT experience I began to wonder if the DW was more tightly specified. Trend might tell you the runout tolerences they specify if you ask. I was going to try this if we had to send back the DW625.

I suppose the majority of routers sold are NOT cutting dovetails with tiny fragile HSS bits, more like trimming kitchen worktops...

Latest posts

Back