Clock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I managed to get the lathe going again with lots of fiddling, it still has to have the pulley rotated to slow down but at least its going.

I ordered a couple of clock inserts to try from turners retreat and combined one with a piece of rottenish apple crotch,from a dead stump that I pulled out from a customers lawn by hand(rotten). The bark was too flakey so had to come off. The only finish is two coats of undiluted cellulose SS, applied by hand.I thought the shininess of the clock went well with the sheen of the SS finish.

Comments appreciated

JT

Johnny, having read your other thread re the frustration of that lathe it's nice to see such a good clock. My Father in law did something very similar some years ago but opted for a router to cut the hole rather than the lathe. That clock still has pride of place in my MIL home.

Its good to show what you can make from a 'rotten' piece of wood

Dave

I think the attraction of your work is that you are thinking outside the normal pail. Lovely to see people working with inspiration. Keep it up.

Pete

absolute rubbish Jt and not worth a place on ARSOLEFLY'S table :wink:

back on earth, brilliant once again mate, i keep saying it but your stuff is amazing, really like the crotch stuff you have done, gives me inspiration to aspire to.
well done...

stevebuk":1cz4ln57 said:
absolute rubbish Jt and not worth a place on ARSOLEFLY'S table :wink:
=D> \:D/ :eek:ccasion5:

Nice work JT - did you cut in in half on the bandsaw ? ( if so how did you stop it rolling , sled ? - or was it a down the middle with a chainsaw job ?)

I like it,
as said above you are doing things away from the norm and that has to be good :D

You can save a bit of cash if you get your clock mechs on ebay, you have to buy more than need but that is part of the fun.
It also adds to the endless to do list

Its a nice product and I'd hapily put in on my stall or website. I was a bit hard on Johnny the other day and the underlying point was that his display didn't do justice to his level of work. Didn't mean to be rude.. He does nice, exquisite work as you can see with his pipe stand.

Soulfly":3o48bjgg said:
Didn't mean to be rude.. He does nice, exquisite work as you can see with his pipe stand.

Shocked_Kidz_at_pc_sm.jpg
monkey_shocked2.jpg

shocked-1.jpg

Good God Soulfly. Next you'll be holding conversations and posting your work!! Keep it up!

Hey guys, give the man /woman creit where credit is due. He does make some good points sometimes and the best of us talk a load of poo at times. Would be nice to see some of your work though. Something odd about being so anonymous. Hope you don't turn out to be Jimmy Clewes or Stuart Mortimer or something :lol:

Pete

Agreed Pete :D
I think the majority of us on here are relatively newbies so encouraging advice is much needed,which Souly does give from time to time :D

Soulfly":2fqv4raj said:
Its a nice product and I'd hapily put in on my stall or website. I was a bit hard on Johnny the other day and the underlying point was that his display didn't do justice to his level of work. Didn't mean to be rude.. He does nice, exquisite work as you can see with his pipe stand.

](*,) Nice and exquisite, ah so thats what you meant by "nothing interesting or eyecatching" . I don't know what you're on SF, but I really don't care what you say or think.

Very nice work JT, I would like to see Soulflys website, and some pics of his work, he posted at 12:48 pm so must work from home, so maybe he is a pro, or is he a hobby turner, or maybe a con!!!! :lol: :lol: 8)

Making good time johnny, not being a fan of the overly turned and embellished clock mounts the clean natural lines of mounting them as simply as possible in an attractive bit of wood works for me.

Cheers Chas, this piece of wood is so lovely IMHO that doing anything more than letting the natural beauty show through would be a crime, nature does a better job than me :lol:

Back