Clock project WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Just spent the last couple of days making this wall clock for a mate who wants a 'cheap' clock for his place in Spain. I thought that I would take this opportunity to try out some veneering, so the side and back panels are veneered, using the iron on glue sheet. The wood is American black walnut
The results are acceptable for small pieces but I doubt it would work very well on larger work.
If there is anyone out there who has any ideas for making a cheap veneer press I would like to know about it (why are the vacuum ones so expensive?)

Hi Fred

This guy in the States is probably the best source for 'build your own' advice and ideas. He even sells most of the bits and pieces - but with import hassles and costs; he isn't that cheap.

Joe Woodworker

If you can come up with a decent Vacuum Pump from somewhere, the only additional cost then is the bag and the seals. That can be rigged up yourself with plastic sheeting almost. If it punctures - make another one! The expense of the kits is the PVC bags and the quality pump which have to pull against a constant vacuum to be any good. Joe's site will give you a better idea of the options available anyway. Once I've moved into the new place and set up, you'd be welcome to take a trip out here and use mine if you don't want to get one of your own.

Thanks for the link Roger, some interesting reading. Strange thing is , I have access to a lot of this equipment, just don't know whether my compressor has the capacity.
Also thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it later this year.
Fred

Back