Clifton Limited Edition Anniversary Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you may be about two weeks out of date...most of the output's been snapped up by PaulC and PaulM :lol: :lol: - Rob

To me it looks a bit naff, but that's just a personal view. I don't have any Cliftons and this doesn't make we want to rush out and buy one.

Jim

Hi,

Not some thing I would buy, 10 years does seem a short time. I have pants older than that :wink:

Pete

Hi, Lurker

It says C&A on some of the wifes :wink:

Pete

I have no intention of buying any myself so not concerned to be "too late"

Was just wondering what people thought of them, are they really any different, and does 10 years warrant a limited edition. Being originally a Sheffield lad I am glad they are still holding their own in the current climate and wish them luck

Mark

The Bear":ulxam2qt said:
I have no intention of buying any myself so not concerned to be "too late"

Was just wondering what people thought of them, are they really any different, and does 10 years warrant a limited edition. Being originally a Sheffield lad I am glad they are still holding their own in the current climate and wish them luck

Mark
If it was 25 years then I think an anniversary edition would be warranted...but 10 :-s They'll still have that truly dreadful two part cap-iron and a 'Y' lever made from Tesco's finest cheddar.
Not for me - Rob

Hi, Woodbloke

The cap iron is fine, the best thing from a Record plane , I will give you the Y lever.

Pete

woodbloke":wxcbj7p6 said:
They'll still have that truly dreadful two part cap-iron

Well, I reckon that they are the best cap irons currently available and I have them fitted to all my bench planes out of choice.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

woodbloke":7bme1fg1 said:
They'll still have that truly dreadful two part cap-iron and a 'Y' lever made from Tesco's finest cheddar.
You mean "that truly wonderful two part cap iron", Rob (a misprint on your part I'm sure). I can see a two-piece cap iron debate starting here. Personally I'm sold on them.

I looked at getting an anniversary plane, but the extra £52 (excluding VAT) for the No.4½ was more than I can justify. I think in another 10 years the sides would be tarnished (err...patina) and the fancy etching on them would be unreadable - and I certainly can't afford to buy one just to leave it sitting in it's box.

So now I'm trying to justify the standard No.4½... (wish me luck with SWMBO) :p . I hope CHT get back to me with shipping costs before the pound recovers against the NZ dollar.

Cheers, Vann.

Paul Chapman":30249lrb said:
woodbloke":30249lrb said:
They'll still have that truly dreadful two part cap-iron

Well, I reckon that they are the best cap irons currently available and I have them fitted to all my bench planes out of choice.

Cheers :wink:

Paul
Hate the things...always have done :twisted: and then when you've assembled it with the iron and turn it upside down (for whatever reason) and you've forgotten to put your forefinger on the bit that comes off... then it falls on floor amongst all the rubbish and so then you've got to pick the bloody thing up. God preserve us...give me a LN or Hock cap iron any day - Rob

Racers":32p5du7v said:
Hi,

Not some thing I would buy, 10 years does seem a short time. I have pants older than that :wink:

Pete

Not sure about pants but I don't have any trousers younger than that . . .

I think if you DO buy one of these then we have the right to call you a collector rather than a user on the SLOPE.

Is that a fair statement?

Conversely...if you COULD have bought one but you bought the normal one instead then you are a true user and not a collector...is that also fair?

Me...I would rather a LN low angle...but that's just me...or a Norris...mmmmmm

:wink:

Jim

jimi43":2hz738sd said:
I think if you DO buy one of these then we have the right to call you a collector rather than a user on the SLOPE.

Is that a fair statement?

Conversely...if you COULD have bought one but you bought the normal one instead then you are a true user and not a collector...is that also fair?

Me...I would rather a LN low angle...but that's just me...or a Norris...mmmmmm

:wink:

Jim
That's a pretty fair definition Jim. I have a LV low angle and a Norris but as I won't have the Cliffispecial I can't be classified as a collector :lol: - Rob

From a marketing and sales point of view...the way that Clifton should have handled it (IMHO) was to make the limited edition planes and then offer these to the first 250 purchasers of the plane at the same price. You can opt not to have it if you are not into bling.

That would have galvanised sales and been good publicity. I think a lot of people feel that the price hike for a bit of side scratching is not really justifiable...but that is just me.

Jim

jimi43":3ii145fu said:
I think a lot of people feel that the price hike for a bit of side scratching is not really justifiable...but that is just me.
No, it's not just you. I think something more permanent (or less likely to mearge with the patina of a 'user') such as a bronze lever-cap with 10th Anniversary cast into it, would be more attractive to me.

Incidently, I think this is the 10th anniversay of their bench plane line. IIRC they were making shoulder planes back in the mid 1990s (possibly early 1990s). :?:

Cheers, Vann.

Evening all.

I think i may have over-done the celebratory champas today.... yup gone and ordered a no3...... pipper....

Regards from a sore headed David

Back