clear plastic grid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
i am looking for a clear (acetate) or better clear solid plastic 1 inch grid for transferring patterns from one source to another , can anyone make (print) me one or point me in the direction of who sells them, i have looked at art shops and ebay and cant find any.
TIA

Hi,
Have you looked at overhead projector film, I believe you can buy that in ISO sheet sizes and I think they do sheets with grid patterns on them?

Or you could make up a grid on a sheet of thin clear acrylic.

Hi Steve
I can cut and then laser engrave you one out of acrylic up to a maximum size of 305 x 457mm or just a little under if you like

Mike

stevebuk":n3z5kwej said:
hi
i am looking for a clear (acetate) or better clear solid plastic 1 inch grid for transferring patterns from one source to another , can anyone make (print) me one or point me in the direction of who sells them, i have looked at art shops and ebay and cant find any.
TIA

Could you roughly describe the transfer process you have in mind?

BugBear

Hi BB
I would place the clear grid over the subject ie: tiger face, then I would have to draw a corresponding grid on the sheet of paper (unless I could see the grid through the paper if I bought two) then match the picture square by square to get the detail and proportion correct, which you need when drawing faces and bodies.. Unless you know a better way of doing it, drawing the grid is very time consuming though..

Acewoodturner, I will be in contact with you very shortly..

stevebuk":34iuo4d7 said:
Hi BB
I would place the clear grid over the subject ie: tiger face, then I would have to draw a corresponding grid on the sheet of paper (unless I could see the grid through the paper if I bought two) then match the picture square by square to get the detail and proportion correct, which you need when drawing faces and bodies.. Unless you know a better way of doing it, drawing the grid is very time consuming though..

When you draw the second copy, are you drawing directly onto a woodworking material, or making a paper plan?

(and, yes I have what I think may be a better method, but I need to make sure it's applicable)

BugBear

stevebuk":21tvli55 said:
.... drawing the grid is very time consuming though..
A couple of other thoughts.
Depending on the weight of the paper you use, and the nature of the grid. It may be possible to rest a pencil tip in the lines of the grid through the paper and draw lines.
Of course if the grid is larger than the paper the grid could be used as a placement guide for a straight edge placed on top of the paper on top of the grid.

xy

If you still want to get the grid as originally described, I suggest you buy a piece of suitable clear plastic, widely available in diy shops, and mark your own grid using a fine permanent marker. To get the grid accurate you could just mark and measure with a try square and ruler or else use some printed graph paper as a guide and 'trace' it.

This any good? SWMBO is a keen patchworker/quilter and uses this 12" x 12" ruler. You should be able to get one from a decent quilter's supply shop. (The example shown is a 6 x 6)
34165-quilt-ruler-lrg.jpg

Attachments

• 34165-quilt-ruler-lrg.jpg
    34165-quilt-ruler-lrg.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 2,682
Would a pantograph be a better approach to copying. Apparently invented in 1603 possibly proving that old ideas are often the best!!

Terry

Latest posts

Back