Cleaning old tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwood

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought some old sorby & ibbotson chisels and planes.
They're in reasonable condition, the steel is sharp but has some inevitable rust spots and the wood is just plain dirty (excuse the pun)...grease and dust.

I want to use them daily but I don't want to refinish them too much, just tidy them up so they are clean to handle.

I've read that turtle wax is probably a good bet for cleaning the wood (unless anyone can recommend anything else) but does anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about removing the rust spots?

Regards

wwood

Welcome to the forum, wwood.

Yep, I've found a paste wax an effective means of cleaning up wood on tools without making them look 'orribly new - f'rinstance. I slap it on (the tool ;) ) with abandon and wipe off the dirty wax as I go. For really bad areas, application of elbow grease via fine non-woven abrasive (grey Webrax in my case) used judiciously can have benefits.

As far as rust goes, from the archive:
For what I call "crusty" rust I use a scraper/Stanley knife blade to scrape off the worst. Then I like to use maroon webrax (or other synthetic wire wool substitute of your choice, or even the real deal if you prefer) and white spirit on the japanned areas if they're very rusty, but the grey if the japanning is largely intact. If it's totally perfect and lovely, don't touch it! Sides, sole and any other areas of bare metal which are reasonably smooth get 320 wet 'n' dry well lubricated with (guess what) white spirit. Rough bare metal areas get the maroon webrax and white spirit treatment too. For awkward corners etc use whatever combination of toothbrushes, cotton buds, bits of stick with a rag around the end and mystic chanting that works for you.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf
And thanks for the welcome...apologies for not introducing myself but I was inexcusably engrossed in an old block plane :)
I'll definately give the suggestions a good go (sparingly)

I actually just tried rubbing with baco foil and it removed the surface rust quite well and left a smooth surface behind, but it couldn't tackle the real greasy dirt build-up in the pitted areas.

Anyway,
I'm super pleased with the tools and I'm looking forward to putting them to work.

Thanks again

wwood

Thanks Philly,
Just followed a few steps on one of the planes and it feels much better...clean & smooth, must take some before & after pics.

Cheers

wwood

Philly":2i33r0bb said:
WW
Welcome!
Here's a useful link.
Cheers
Philly :D

Yech. I wouldn't recommend using any water based product or process on wood. Too much chance of raising the grain.

On the paste-wax cleaning method, you might want to thin the wax JUST A BIT with a solvent; proper turpentine is probably the best.

Essentially we're heading toward the well known antique dealers "furniture reviver" which is a combination cleaner/polish.

BugBear

bugbear":o2eu4z7u said:
On the paste-wax cleaning method, you might want to thin the wax JUST A BIT with a solvent; proper turpentine is probably the best.
Ah, good point, probably depends on the paste wax. I wouldn't want to use Chestnut's Woodwax 22 neat f'rinstance, but Liberon's Black Bison is ideal as is. Lousy as a finish though... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1vs4f2q1 said:
bugbear":1vs4f2q1 said:
Ah, good point, probably depends on the paste wax. I wouldn't want to use Chestnut's Woodwax 22 neat f'rinstance, but Liberon's Black Bison is ideal as is. Lousy as a finish though... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I'm currently using some beeswax polish I got at a country fair (from a bee keeper). Quite cheap, and lots of turpentine, so nice and "mobile" for cleaning.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back