clean up old plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johngraves

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought a record 042 plane for a very reasonable price. The plane itself is in good condition and its worth spending a couple of hours getting it back into shape. The one downside however is that someone has painted the body black. Although this doesn't affect the way it works I would like to get it back to its original metal if possible.
Has anyone experience of removing paint from old tools without messing up the metal underneath?

Ordinary paint stripper or caustic soda should do as long as you take off any brass or aluminium parts.

The B&Q non-odour paint and varnish stripper is fantastic stuff (never thought I would say that about Mr DIY!) and works wonders on the paint on planes...even the Japanning!

DSC_0581.JPG

Do one layer...brush with a stiff brush after an hour or so and then start again. The first layer softens the paint and the second takes it all off

DSC_0583.JPG

Cheers

Jim

And then HAMMERITE SMOOTH DARK BLUE SPRAY is the colour you need...don't get dragged into the "must be Roundel Blue No.6000448348....etc etc" discussion!

It looks too "blue" at first but darkens to that lovely old "Roundel Blue" colour...not the new Irwin mess!

DSC_0612.JPG

Cheers

Jim

Hi John.

BS110 is the colour code for Record's "Roundel Blue" if you wish to go the route of using Rust-Oleum and isn't the bright/garish shade of blue used on modern offerings. You'll find it's easy to apply (If you don't/can't use spray cans) by brush and is low odour and water based.

The #04 at the back was painted using Rust-Oleum BS110, whilst the #05 and #010 are in original finish.

Handle-Strip-down-0011.jpg

The #04 a little closer and at the front of the picture

Hand-planes-006.jpg

I hope this helps :)

bugbear":1catiz8z said:
MickCheese":1catiz8z said:
Team

It's a shoulder plane, surely it should not be painted.

Mick

I think people like to post what they know, and don't always read the actual question...

Here's a nice blog entry about the #042.

http://hackneytools.com/2012/07/15/reco ... der-plane/

BugBear

BB - I think people like to help and sometimes fail to read the numbers correctly. :oops: :oops:

I think some people can be overly caustic and instead of saying "guys guys...it's a 042 you dozy gits"....... have to be seen to correct!

Lighten up or I'll send over the ghost of Record Past! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :deer

Jim

jimi43":1atioprn said:
GazPal":1atioprn said:
:D Jim started it :D :wink:

I just got carried away being able to post pics after being unable to for so long :ho2

TRAITOR!! :ho2

I'll set ALFIE on you!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim

:ho2 I've six mischievous labradors to hide behind :ho2 :wink: :D

Back