Classical Elm Vase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
This Elm vase is a 2 piece turning rejoined at the textured band. Its 5" wide and 18" tall(tallest I've ever made) The band is done with acrylics and the whole thing is finished with a satin laquer.
redbowltallvase006.jpg

redbowltallvase007.jpg

Comments and critiques welcomed

JT

Now that's top notch johnny. the quality of the grain match either side of the band is faultless to my eyes.

The textured band seems to highlight the rich grain figuring and the quality of the matching.

Lovely piece Johnny. Nice to see a rounded bottom (Take Note Paul J :lol:)

As Chas says you have matched the grain extremely well. If you don't say you split it no-one will tell

Pete

Bodrighy":2p2wft8m said:
....... Nice to see a rounded bottom (Take Note Paul J :lol:).Pete

Agree it's very classical but in support of Pauls vases I suspect it makes it a 'looker' not a 'user' in the average household Pete.

Classical 'users' of this pattern have to be placed in a stand to remain upright with any safety I think.

CHJ":3k34wjyy said:
Bodrighy":3k34wjyy said:
....... Nice to see a rounded bottom (Take Note Paul J :lol:).Pete

Agree it's very classical but in support of Pauls vases I suspect it makes it a 'looker' not a 'user' in the average household Pete.

Classical 'users' of this pattern have to be placed in a stand to remain upright with any safety I think.

If I do these I tend to leave quite a bit of wood at the bottom to give it weight there but generally I agree. I suppose the extreme are the transport amphora from the middle east that have a pointed base.

Pete

Bodrighy":2s3c0y12 said:
I suppose the extreme are the transport amphora from the middle east that have a pointed base. Pete

I guess that was to enable them to be secured in the galley shingle/sand ballast for shipment, I have seen pics. of them supported in iron stands and wall fittings whilst in use.

Thats a cracker Johnny love it. No room for error there cos you can`t re-turn it once the top and bottom are joined with the decorative band or at least very difficult to do so!
Steve

Very nice looking vase JT,great shape and lovely piece of Elm,though it looks as if it's ready to topple over to me:D :wink:

Thanks chaps :D , I love doing these pieces and I think the Elm is well suited.
With regards to the base its not that narrow just rounded off at the bottom to cast a shadow and make it look smaller/lighter than it is. Having said that its not really for putting things in.

Cheers JT

Lovely piece of work JT and I too like the way it all marries together. Elm is wonderful wood! If you did want to use it as a user then it would be quite simple to make a frame for it to sit in and still look the business!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphora

We get a lot of them found a bit East of here on the coastal regions. Not needed now that bottles are common and there are lots and lots and lots of full ones very locally!

Thats a lovely job Johnny. The texture band really makes this yours.

How did you texture the band?

I remember one time when I was making a load of beer engine pump handles. One of them, yew, I took a lump out when the oval scew caught. It was one of the best ones too. I cut a groove in it, about 1/4" deep, turned a walnut band to fit, broke the band carefully and glued it in place and turned the whole thing down to size. It looked so good that the pub didn't get it and I still have it.

They were a very good seller and there are still several pubs in and around Stroud with them. The staff love them because they ain't cold in the winter like the pot ones are. Good practice for the scew gouge too! Nice earner at £15 10 or 12 years back...

I feel a similar project to you vase coming on when I have finished what I am doing now.

Back