Claro Walnut & Holly dns Twister pen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Irons

Reaction score
I don't consider myself to be a pen maker so I'm quite chuffed with this one.
The Claro Walnut is from a veneer core I bought from Lincolnshire Hardwoods ages ago and the Holly was salvaged from a bonfire.
It's finished with 4 coats of CA, sanded to 8000 MM and polished with burnishing cream. The kit is a dns Twister with a black refill.

Attachments

• Claro-Walnut.jpg
    Claro-Walnut.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1,621
You came up with a very sophisticated flow to the shape Phil, the figuring in the walnut adds a look of quality to the piece, refined and old world charm rather than hard brashness that could have resulted from plain un-figured walnut.

Hi Phil

Two very nice pens well turned and well finished

Any chance of some more posts ? A man with your talents could be very helpful on the forum :mrgreen:

Hope to see some more work soon

:ho2 :ho2

Sorry guys,
I should have mentioned that it was photographed on a mirror.
I will try plain glass next time or a black background.
Cheers
Phil

Phil Irons":3t4jbb63 said:
Sorry guys,

Doh! I had not noticed and I thought you had made two perfectly identical pens... Nurse! it is time for my medication again I think.

frugal":sbpe6ary said:
Phil Irons":sbpe6ary said:
Sorry guys,

Doh! I had not noticed and I thought you had made two perfectly identical pens... Nurse! it is time for my medication again I think.

:oops:

I fell for it as well #-o #-o #-o

Very nice Phil,

The holly band just gives it that much more

Nice looking pen Phil and lovely bit of Walnut,but what mkes it Claro :? :?:
Another one here who would like to see more of what you are good at :D

Claro Walnut comes from the states and is grafted to English Walnut root stock. It makes very spectacular veneer and beautiful pens.
You probably saw the cores when you came to collect your lathe Paul.

Phil Irons":2ukkqvrp said:
Claro Walnut comes from the states and is grafted to English Walnut root stock. It makes very spectacular veneer and beautiful pens.
You probably saw the cores when you came to collect your lathe Paul.
Cheers Phil.
Doesn't ring any bells Phil,but i remember you mentioning some big burrs that you had at the back.

Phil Irons":2osnut2z said:

Phil, I think it's the other way round in the USA, Claro (J. hindsii ) being being native, used as rootstock for English Walnut plantations in California.

Back