circular saw blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I think its about time I got a new blade for my circular saw but am a bit confused, can you help.
On the old blade has written on it, 10 inch, 250mm, 25.4mm, 60 teeth.
Now I look up blades from ebay and I think i'm right in saying the 25.4mm is the arbor the small hole in the center.
What I can only find is 25mm.
Help!!!

Well 25.4mm is an inch pretty exactly, so it should be easy to tell if that really is the bore. You MIGHT get away with 25mm, it depends on the tolerance of the arbor.
60T on a blade that size implies you are using it for delicate materials like veneered board. 40T would be suitable for crosscutting, or ripping thinnish material (say an inch thick or so).
24T for ripping.
Contact Doug Perry at Cutting Solutions (on here as cuttingsolutions) for expert advice, excellent quality and sensible prices.
S

Hi Reg, I had the same problem. You're right the 25.4mm is the arbor and the equivalent to 1". However I can fit 25mm arbor blades on to my 25.4mm spindle and I often buy 30mm arbor blades and use a 30mm-25mm reducer. It might be wise to borrow a blade with a 25mm arbor first and try it or at the very least buy a cheap 25mm blade so as not waste too much if it doesn't fit.

Hope this helps Froggy.

Take my advice and buy a 30mm bore blade and a "proper" 30mm to 25.4mm (1in) reducing bush they are very cheap. It's what I have had to do for my table saw.

I know it's only 0.4mm but you really don't want a blade running at many rpm's that could be out of balance. For a small outlay you can solve your issue properly.

I will take Richards advise and get a 30mm bore blade and a "proper" 30mm to 25.4mm (1in) reducing bush but thanks for all your help.
Reg

That sounds like a good solution to me.
Doug sells the reducers, too, BTW. And I have no commercial interest in his business, either, just in case you were wondering! :)
S

+1 reducing ring

30mm bore gives you a much better choice of blades from many more manufacturers

I have 25 & 16mm bores to contend with so just bought a few of each reducing ring to give me that choice

I'm playing devil's advocate when I ask this next question so don't all go off on one, but if a 25 mm bore blade fits a 1" arbor then wouldn't a 25-30mm reducer be better than a 1" - 30mm as it's a bit tighter than 25.4mm? Someone mentioned balance, but wouldn't the balance be better with a snugger fitting blade?

Froggy":3ps6zf1d said:
I'm playing devil's advocate when I ask this next question so don't all go off on one, but if a 25 mm bore blade fits a 1" arbor then wouldn't a 25-30mm reducer be better than a 1" - 30mm as it's a bit tighter than 25.4mm? Someone mentioned balance, but wouldn't the balance be better with a snugger fitting blade?
A 25mm bore blade would be very tight on a true 1" arbor, so would also be difficult to remove

I reckon you would end up with the reducing ring left behind on the arbor

I've noticed no play when fitting mine

The up date to my saw blade so far.
First my daughters have given me £20 for a new blade so, i started to get my old blade off.
Got the plastic guard off, un did the main bolt (left hand fred), wiggled the blade out, then there was a washer/ring that fitted snugly in to the old blade but if i turned it round it was just to large to fit my 25.4mm blade.
Now lacking a mica gage do you think this is a reducer and at a guess is 30mm.
I was thinking, would it be a good idea for me to buy a 30mm blade and see what the fit is like, and if that was not successful i could then buy a reducer.
Oh give me feet and inches any day.

These reducers are supposed to be tapped, carefully so they go in square (think of fitting a bearing), into the blade - they are supposed to be tight to stop any movement as already mentioned

I don't know how snug they should be, mine wouldn't go in without light persuasion, but went in easier than I expected

Hope that helps

Last up-date on saw blade replacement.
Got my ruler out and measured, the spindle that the blade go's on was 16mm but it also had a double sided reducer washer.
Of i go to Screwfix and buy a blade that is 30mm but comes with a set of reducers, can't go wrong says i.
After many small cuts to my hands and fingers i put the 16mm reducer on the blade, put the double saw reducer that also seems to be a packing washer on, put blade on with bolt.
Get wife from the TV to help put on the guard and any other bits, spin blade by hand, seems to be running true.
Now all i need is a volunteer to try it out, my young daughter and wife has refused.
If you don't hear from me again, fear the worst...
Nice knowing you all Reg

Well i plugged the saw in and stood to one side, pulled the trigger....
Yippy, still got all my fingers.
I will remember to look for 16mm arbor blade next time.
Thanks for everyones help.
Reg

Back