Circular Saw/Blade Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grawschbags

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a mere novice/hobbyist at this woodworking lark, and as such I'm buying tools on a project by project basis. Please be gentle...

My current purchase is that of a circular saw. I have recently purchased the Bosch PKS 18v circular saw, and after unboxing, I find myself underwhelmed. I immediately started looking for better/finer cutting blades, but hit a snag when searching for 150mm blades. This doesn't seem to be a very common size.

My question is, what circular saw blade diameter is the most common, and would provide me with the greatest variety of number of teeth combinations? I suspect something like 190mm.

I'm going to send my current model back, and re-invest (possibly in the Bosch Professional range). All my power tools are Bosch, and I've started investing in their "one battery fits all" 18v range, so would prefer not to switch brands.

The saw will ultimately be used to cut plywood sheets, as I'm building some cabinets for my garage. So for clean cuts I think I need 40+ teeth. Happy to be corrected!

I don't have a table saw (maybe one day). So a good versatile circular saw will have to suffice for the time being.

Thanks for any advice.

Graeme

Hello and welcome. I read that you're Bosch PKS 18V takes 165mmx20 bore x 18 tooth,
It would be best to contact the makers or suppliers to see what other Bosch blades are available.
They do make lots of different blades and of several different types.
There's a link below, There are several at around 24 tooth onwards, 40, and 60 tooth blades for cheap money.
As you are aware, You ought to choose the correct blade for job in hand, I would suggest a 40 tooth blade, a lot for a small saw, but you must get a blade that will have an identical kerf as you're original supplied with the saw.
Failure to do this will mean either the riving knife will be useless as it is too thin, or the saw will not cut as the riving knife, an important part of the saw safety is too fat.
HTH Regards Rodders

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAKITA-SPECIA ... SwT6pVp8A9

Thanks for the replies gents.

Took the opportunity to read the tech specs in the manual again after your mention of blade sizes. Blade size is 150mm max / 147mm min, 16mm bore.

Looking at the eBay link, the prices seems pretty good. My initial look was on the likes of Screwfix etc, where they only stocked 1off 150mm blade. I have a Screwfix local to me, so my thinking of a common blade size was based on their available selection.

I think I should have done more research before pressing the buy button. Don't want to pay through the nose for decent saw blades when I could have bought a more expensive saw with more common blade sizes.

Cheers.

scosarg":3id6rcbf said:
This is a link to all the different CMT circular saw blades and theIr application
http://scosarg.com//leaflets/cmt/2014_Sawblades.pdf

there are several options!
HW = TCT

That's a useful catalogue, thanks for that.

I don't want to hijack the thread but I'd be grateful for some advice. I'm trying to find a pair of saw blades (180-200mm diameter, 30mm bore) to use on a spindle moulder with shims for cutting tenon cheeks. I've been talking to Leitz who are suggesting grooving blades, what would Scott & Sargeant suggest? Obviously the saw plate needs to be particularly rigid for this application, but the kerf itself on each individual blade needs to be relatively narrow to make the cut as easy as possible.

What length of tenon do you need to make?
How big are the shoulders you need?
What machine are you going to run them on?
There are a few options I could suggest

scosarg":1v1p7ec8 said:
What length of tenon do you need to make?
How big are the shoulders you need?
What machine are you going to run them on?
There are a few options I could suggest

Furniture only, so tenons rarely exceed 30 or 35mm in length. Would like to use this set up for compound angles and angled shoulders (i.e. chairs), so I'd cut the shoulders separately and a small kerf is a help not a hindrance. Will be using it on a Felder 30mm spindle moulder, shimming the gap between the two blades to get the correct tenon thickness.

Thanks!

Ideally you ought to use this adjustable groover... You can use the two halves independently back to back and do the job in one hit... The body around the shaft is the same as the kerf width so its dead easy to set accurate tenon thickness, it uses disposable knives and the spurs will give a nice clean finish on the tenon sides
http://scosarg.com/omas-adjustable-groo ... v-4-b-12-5

The problem with using saw blades is that the tooth is wider than the plate so you're always having to compensate for the difference but any saw blade would do the trick ... We do some single side thin bossed blades from Omas , but I don't think that's much help for you....
http://scosarg.com/omas-tct-extra-thin- ... 0-z-64-v-b
But you may want something standard

Latest posts

Back