• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Chucks for the left bowl turning side of a Union Graduate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Gerryoh

Reaction score
HELP! We need some advice about good chucks for the left bowl turning side of a Union Graduate please?

If you’ve got one or know of one being sold at a fair price.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Gerry and Sylvie

Plumsden

Reaction score
You can get chucks/backplates that fit the 1 1/2" x 6 tpi tread of the Graduate. Some have a left/right thread so it can be used inboard and outboard. Left Thread is on outboard side, Right thread on inboard size.

Axminster do a 1 1/2" x 6 tpi Left/Right thread for SK114, but not the smaller chucks I believe.

Beaufort Inks also do a 1 1/2" x 6 tpi Left/Right thread backplate. This backplate would fit the Versachuck that they also sell, but would also fit an old Axminster Super Precision chuck if you could find one.

niall Y

Established Member
Reaction score
HELP! We need some advice about good chucks for the left bowl turning side of a Union Graduate please?

If you’ve got one or know of one being sold at a fair price.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Gerry and Sylvie
Hi there,
I have the smaller sister lathe the Union Jubilee. I have a Nova chuck for this, that has two separate inserts for inboard and outboard turning. You will find some folks have a real "downer" on the use of inserts, but I haven't encountered any problems.
When turning on the outside of the lathe you have to make sure that the insert is locked into the chuck with the internal Allen screw - otherwise the chuck will unwind off the insert.
There are some better quality and more expensive chucks out there, but I'm pleased with its performance.
Cheers Niall

Plumsden

Reaction score
To be clear chucks/backplates I discuss above are cut with a left and right hand thread (in same part) so can be used both on the inboard and outboard.

As this is getting a less used thread not many inserts/ exerts are around the only one I know of is an exert that goes from female 1 1/2" to Male M33, but it only has a RH thread so could only be used inboard.

Cooper

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a very old Graduate and I have a Sorby Patriot chuck, which has a left and right hand combined thread . I have no problem with using it either side. It is a bit small for a big bowl on the outside. I then use a face plate, (in the old fashioned way we did before we had a chuck with dovetail jaws), this also has a left and right thread. The chuck was expensive but the face plate only £20 new. I can't remember where I got it but I found it easily on line. When I got it I had never come across a combined thread and wondered if it was strong enough but that was the only style the bloke sold, I've not regretted getting it.
Cheers
Martin

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the Axminster Evolution chuck. Not cheap (£200) and I have spent more than that on jaws over the last few years, but it does seem to be a good strong beast. I bought a Rutlands set for my other lathe (Viceroy) because I couldn't find anyone else selling that thread size. It is actually a chuck set plus adapter but seems OK - not up to the Axminster quality but then it only (?) cost £200 including about 4 jaw sets.

K

Paul Hannaby

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a spare backplate for a graduate which is dual threaded L/R 1 1/2" x 6tpi so can be used inboard and outboard. The backplate would fit either an Axminster super precision chuck or a Versachuck. Let me know if you are still looking for something to fit your lathe.

Jota79

Reaction score
I have a spare backplate for a graduate which is dual threaded L/R 1 1/2" x 6tpi so can be used inboard and outboard. The backplate would fit either an Axminster super precision chuck or a Versachuck. Let me know if you are still looking for something to fit your lathe.
Hi Paul I'm also looking for a chuck for the union graduate, I've just got my lathe so now looking for a chuck and tools, what price do you want for the back plate

Plumsden

Reaction score
Hi Paul, If Jota or Gerryoh do not have the backplate I would be interested as I have just bought a Woodfast M910 with a 1 1/2" x 6 tpi.

Last edited:

Latest posts