chuck recommendation wadkin RS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tool613

Established Member
Reaction score
what chuck would you guys say is the best to get for my Wadkin RS. it has a 20" swing 32" with the gap removed. 1 3/8 6pt BSW.

new too chucks so please explain.

jack

Hi Jack

Fantastic lathe but they have a wierd spindle thread, as you've probably found. I bought an Axminster Super precision chuck with a blank backplate and had a local engineering shop cut the right thread in for me. I took in the faceplate and they machined up a spindle to fit, then were able to cut the correct thread.

Problem is, I think I had one of the last SP chucks from Axminster and they are currently not available so it would be a case of getting whatever chuck you can with a blank back plate, or a backplate with a suitable size of metal that can be machined it suit.

I notice you are in Canada, I don't really know what's available to you over there but if you ask at your usual local supplier I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.

HTH

Richard

I think Axminster are re-introducing the SP chuck soon and these will also be available via suppliers in the US and Canada. Perhaps an email to Axminster might clarify?

I have a Wadkin BL150 and the thread on it is 1 1/2 x 6 BSW and Oneway had an adaptor for that. I had to use the Stronghold to make it work but that is what I would have picked anyway.

thanks for the input so far.

as you know boys this is a large lathe. The One way is made not far from me. The chucks i have seen looks small . what makes a good chuck? I am getting old and i just want the best now. I have no time to start at the bottom.

what are the features you like or dislike. Is One way the best? models and opinions please. You can show me you work if you like.

as a side have any put a metal lathe chucks on there lathes?

jack
English machine

I think the Oneway Stronghold is one of the best, if not the best, but then it ought to be given the price.
I'd also suggest that if your wood is too big for a Stronghold then you probably shouldn't be using a chuck to hold it.
Why not talk to Oneway to see what they recommend for maximum wood size/weight for the Stronghold.

Latest posts

Back