Chisels, gouges and moulding planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
Once in a while I get up on a Saturday morning and feel the inclination to go and buy tools. So today, rather than getting on with what I should do, off I went and bought the following for £20:

- Chisel, 1/8”, S. Tyzack & Son Ltd, 348 Old St. EC.
- Chisel, ¼”, woodscrew logo, Sheffield, (Charles Taylor?).
- Firmer chisel, ½”, S. Tyzack & Son Ltd, 348 Old St. EC.
- Firmer chisel, 1”, W. Marples & Sons, cast steel, shamrock logo.
- Firmer chisel, 1¼”, R. Mather & Son, Sheffield, warranted cast steel, “PIVOT” above a tear drop shape logo.
- Gouge, 5/16”, sweep No.3, Chas Hill, Sheffield, octagonal handle (ash?) – looks old.
- Gouge, 3/8”, sweep No. 8, W Marples & Sons, cast steel, shamrock logo, no ferrule.
- Gouge, 5/8”, sweep No. 8, W. Marples & Sons.
- Gouge, ¾”, sweep No. 9, W. Marples & Sons, cast steel, shamrock logo.
- Gouge, ¾”, sweep No. 8, S. Tyzack & Son Ltd, 348 Old St. EC., handle wrecked.
- Moulding plane, beech, Buck, 40 Tottenham Ct. Rd., crude softwood “side fence” nailed on (why, I wonder?).
- Moulding plane, beech, Turtle, Tool Maker, Croydon, softwood “side fence” nailed on.

I think the chisels and gouges will clean up OK. Some will get new handles (I keep the old ones so that a future owner can put them back if they really want to).

I am new to moulding planes so I’m looking forward to cleaning them, sharpening and giving them a go. The Turtle one is interesting to me because Turtles was an old tool shop in Croydon that sadly closed recently. I bought my Record No. 5½” plane there more than 30 years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1505C.jpg
    IMG_1505C.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 2,830
  • IMG_1503C.jpg
    IMG_1503C.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 2,830
  • IMG_1502C.jpg
    IMG_1502C.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 2,831
  • IMG_1501C.jpg
    IMG_1501C.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 2,835
  • IMG_1499C.jpg
    IMG_1499C.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 2,835
rxh":1hzj2s0b said:
The Turtle one is interesting to me because Turtles was an old tool shop in Croydon that sadly closed recently. I bought my Record No. 5½” plane there more than 30 years ago.

Very sad, I bought my Record 5 1/2 there about 25 years ago, it was an Alladin's cave for so many things, I miss those proper shops. one local to me shut a year or two ago. It was the size of a bath, yet people got sent there from B&Q for all the stuff they didn't stock.

Turtles was a great shop - I bought loads of stuff there over the years. As you say, very sad when it closed :(

Cheers :wink:

Paul

What good value shopping!

The second moulding plane shows you nice and clearly where to hold it, with distinct lighter parts not darkened by tallow.
The extra fence could have been as a frugal replacement for a much worn one.

I don't think the toolshop in Croydon would have had much in the way of steel working and tool making facilities.
Marples of Sheffield on the other hand...

AndyT":13dfkwnl said:
I don't think the toolshop in Croydon would have had much in the way of steel working and tool making facilities.
Marples of Sheffield on the other hand...

Ah ok,
I thought as much ;)
Thanks for the education Andy. Much appreciated

TT

Back